Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:56 PM   #1

anyone have an opinion on this camera. I like it a lot. would use it for action shots. any pros and cons
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:07 PM   #2

The Sony H-1 is an excellent camera and has received very good reviews. Keep in mind that the Sony H-2 and H-5 have just been introduced at PMA 2006 and they should reach the consumer market in the next 90 to 120 days

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:58 PM   #3
E.T

Fuji S9000 would be better, especially if action isn't in bright lightning (comparable to daylight in sunny day), it has better high ISO and manual/mechanical zoom is always magnitude better for faster framing.
Sony's "high ISO" in those above cameras is quite pure marketing BS.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:43 PM   #4

Well, everyone is here to express their own opinion. I actually own and use the Fuji S-9000, on a day to day basis, so perhaps I just might in a much better position to givesome real, hands-on feedback, both as a camera user and as a profession digital camera instructor.

The Fuji S-9000 is a good digital camera. It does indeed have some desirable features. However, IMHO, the Sony H series cameras are easier cameras to use on a day to day basis.

The Sony H series cameras will require much less post processing than the Fuji S-9000 photo. Perhaps thatis something that should be taken into consideration when evaluating these cameras.

Everyone's shooting workflow is different. So I remind you that I am only sharing my personal experience and nothing more.

MT
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:39 PM   #5

I find it somewhat amazing that someone could make a statement about a camera that has not even been tested. I own the sony H1 and have found it to be a very good camera. I could not be more pleased. It has some limitations as they all do but it does 99% of what I ask. C.W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:53 PM   #6

CW-

That is exactly the point I was attempting to make. I do indeed own and use both the Sony H-1 and the Fuji S-9000. I think that the H-1 is a very competent camera.

MT
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:38 PM   #7

The reasons I got my Canon S2 over the H1... The H1 has a darn propriarty battery. No swivel lcd, and didn't fit right in my hand. The colors on the newer Sony models seem to be very washed out. I owned a Sony for 3 years before upgrading .. and the color on my old baby was much brighter than the new ones.. Personal opinion here.

The S2 takes AA batteries (better I think in the long run.. speaking from experience of having a camera and no longer able to get a certain battery type)... The IS seemed to work better with the S2 aswell.

If you can wait a while.. The S3 comes out the end of May.. No one knows what it will be like.. but if you're just 'looking' to upgrade and aren't camerless.. might be worth the wait.. or if you want a deal. The S2 is getting cheaper by the day.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:39 AM   #8

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
The reasons I got my Canon S2 over the H1... The H1 has a darn propriarty battery.
Wrong....the H1 does use AA batteries, which Sony includes with the camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_..._h1.html#specs.

AA batteries are convenient, but I have found the lithium ion batteries to last longer in camera, and hold charges longer outside of the camera during periods of inactivity. Yes, they are more expensive, but they do have some advantages. Batteries or memory would never be a deal breaker for me when choosing a camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:11 AM   #9

I considered the Canon S2 but hate the small flip out viewfinder; the price is the same for the S2 or the H1.
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:22 AM   #10

If everyone is finished correcting and criticizing each other...the O.P. asked for pros and cons in using the H1 for action shots...I don't think anyone has answered the question yet. Looking back at some of Minnie's earlier posts, the action required is dog action sports, specifically flyball. Minnie's existing camera produces blurry pics, often of just the tail end of the dog.

Minnie, you need a camera that has a short lag time and high shutter speed in various lighting conditions. In order to be able to use a fast shutter speed in anything other than bright sunlight, you need a camera that has high ISO capabilities. In one of your earlier posts, you stated that 3x zoom would be sufficient. In that thread, MT suggested the Fuji S5200 or S9000, due to ISO settings of 1600. MT also suggested the Fuji F30, due to ISO 3200 capability. Slipe recommended the Fuji F10, due to high ISO capability.

I would recommend the F10, not only because of high ISO, but also it has a very short lag time. If you can wait, the F30 might be even better for you.

tbone - E.T. knows what he's talking about...check the Sony web site...they claim they have a new 'high sensitivity' mode which permits ISO settings up to ISO 1000. I don't need to wait for a professional review to know that you won't be able to shoot in ISO 1000 in Auto or Manual modes.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote