Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:09 PM   #1

WE have narrowed down our search for a new camera for my wife to the Canon S2 or the Panasonic FZ5. THis camera needs to be easy to use and fit the following priorities. Very fast shutter lag, No Blurs and very reduced Red-Eye. This will normaly be used to track and record my 3yr old daughter's actions. My wife liked the wieght of the Panasonic, but cares about the other stuff more! Please help. Also is the Ultra II card fast enough or would the the Extreme III card make a difference? thanks Steven.
steven766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:21 PM   #2

Steven-

I am another of those demanding females, and I have found my Canon S-2 IS to be very fast and easy to use. Here is a shot that is about as quick as the come.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:30 PM   #3

My 4 yr old break dancing on the floor in low light.. With the S2.. I have 2 toddlers and LOVE this camera.. The video capabilities and swivel lcd put it on top for me. I prefered the feel of the S2 over similar cameras initially also.
Attached Images

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:30 PM   #4

My 2 yr old showing off his whale..lol
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:32 PM   #5

Full optical zoom.. action shot.
Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:54 AM   #6

VWmom-

Congratulations on some really excellent photos.

MT
Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:22 PM   #7
jdp

I've been using an S2 IS for 7 months as a snap shot camera alongside my SLRs.

Can confirmUltra II keeps up with cameras max throughput, I don't believe an Extreem III will improve on this.

I do sometimes getred eye, even with the anti red eye flash setting, if the room is quite dark. From experience this is hard to avoid with any camera/flash where the flash is close to the lens. I remove it with Photoshop Elements.

Low light autofocusing can be difficult at the longer telephoto lengths.

The image stabiliser is excellent, you can often get away without flash indoors if yoursubject is still enough. Where I find it really usefulis outdoors for some great candidsat the extreem telephoto end, it keeps everything shake free even down at 1/125 sec.

I like the video performance, especiallyfor capturing the kids. If you plan to do this then I'd suggest gettinga 2 Gig card as video eats memory fast.

Battery life is pretty good.I've just shot 300 pics on 2 sets of rechargable 2000 mAh AAs, this included plenty of reviewing, a few flash and lots ofzooming. However I do compose through the viewfinder more often than with the flip out screen, which will conserve battery power.

ISO 50 and 100 are fine but I don't use ISO 200 much, you do notice the drop off in image quality.

Overall I am really pleased with the S2.

Did you notice Canon have just announced an S3, details on this site.

jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:25 PM   #8

Thanks for your replies. For what it is worth I am not interested in the video side of a camera as we have a good digital video camera as well. We had been using an older nikon 2000 and decided in December to get something better and bought a Sony W7. The problem was (until died when it went swimming)that it was no faster from press of the button to capture than our old Nikon, there was more redeye (maybe we noticed it more) and at least half of our pictures were blurred! My wife is very worried that the next camera will be like the sony. My wife likes the size and wieght of the Panasonic, but we both care more that we can capture shots of our daughter, indoors and out, without her moving between when we take the picture and it is recorded. Also if the image is blurred ( I know the difference between blur and soft) then it is a waste. I am not trying to join the Mega Pixal wars as I will be printing only up to 5X7. VwMom, your comments have been great, as have been the others. thanks, we are still trying to figure this one out. Steven
steven766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:30 PM   #9

Steven -

I've had my S2 now for about 5 weeks and have not been disappointed. It's an excellent camera for not only point-and-shoot users, but also for more creative usage using aperture or shutter spead priorities. I've used it extensively indoors (sporting events and museums) without flash -really some great photos. I'm using a SanDisk Ultra II1GB memory card and it has proven to be very capable for stills and video. In fact, I would not recommend the Extreme III becauseof the additional cost . Just a side note: you may want to wait a couple of months for the new S3. It will have 6MPprocessor and a larger LCD screen (2.0). Also, it will have a higher ISO rangeup to 800 and an additional video option of 60fps.
hawks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:08 PM   #10

Hawks-

However, when you really analyze the S-3, the so called "improvements" are only minimal. Why not save money and purchase the canon S-2 IS?

MT