Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:41 AM   #1

Will digital cameras be affected by the xraying process of¬* going onto an airplane?¬*Thank you!
Straylightrun00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Administrator

I've seen this one debated often in the past, with conflicting conclusions and reports.

But, the general concensus is that it will not harm your equipment.

Personally, I'd keep my memory cards (and preferrably other camera gear) with me when travelling, just to avoid the higher powered x-rays that could be used in some airports now for baggage that's not carry on (just to be safe, even though the x-rays may not harm anything).

Here is an older thread on this topic you may want to read through, with a link to one news story Steve posted indicating that its safe (but, this one conficts with a warning from HP that you'll see in the same thread).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=40450

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:48 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, also wondering if you knew where I could find a nice metal case for my d200?
Straylightrun00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:54 PM   #4
Administrator

Nope... But, if searching through the forums doesn't turn up anything, you may want to start a new thread asking about a metal case.

I've got multiple camera bags, but nothing metal. I can imagine having a metal case in luggage would probably make it more likely to be singled out and searched, though (which may or may not be good thing, if your luggage doesn't make your flight). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 4:44 PM   #5

I don't think x-rays are capable of harming either digital cameras or recording media. High integrity electrical components, such as those used in the space program are radiographed every day to detect defects which may cause them to fail in service. If the x-rays were harmful in any way, they would find another way to test them. I would be more concerned with static electricity and strong magnetic fields - these are the real enemies of electronics.

I have flown numerous times with my digital camera, and the camera, with at least three xD, cards were in my carry on bag that went on the conveyor to be x-rayed. To date, I have not lost any pictures or suffered any loss of performance of my camera.

I would never put my camera in checked luggage, because I have seen the lads in action, carefully placing pieces of luggage on conveyor belts and on wagons. I have also had my luggage damaged by these thoughtful, caring individuals. If I had to put my camera in checked luggage, I would spring for one of these:

http://www.casesbypelican.com/pelican_Camera_cases.htm

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:36 PM   #6

I flew for 32 years as a Boeing 747 and Lockheed L-1011 Captain and ever since they began x-raying things at Security I was there with my cameras and flash media. So, if you are keeping score, I probably passed through those x-ray monitors many more times each month than the ordinary and valued passengers.

In all that time I have never had any problems with either cameras or flash media or chips.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:39 PM   #7

there is no problem with having your digital equipment (cameras, memory cards) go through an xray machine at the airport.

BUT there is a problem with keeping your memory cards in your pocket and going through the metal detector! it could totally wipe your memory cards! this information was given to me by a professional camera sales assistant.

so putting your equipment through an xray machine is fine and WILL NOT hurt your camera or memory cards.

glad i could help!
Taraelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:47 PM   #8

Putting anything in checked baggage that can be easily broken is a crapshoot. Back in the day I was one of those highly skilled individuals who loaded bags on airplanes. One of my co workers even tried to stress test a pair of snow skies by laying them sideways in the belly of the airplane and loaded bags on top. These are not highly motivated people for the most part. I always carry my cameras in my laptop bag that goes with me (along with a couple of essentials in case my bag goes for extra frequent flier miles). Get a good case if you plan to carry it by it's self! Steven
steven766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:56 PM   #9

Taraelf wrote:
Quote:
there is no problem with having your digital equipment (cameras, memory cards) go through an xray machine at the airport.

BUT there is a problem with keeping your memory cards in your pocket and going through the metal detector! it could totally wipe your memory cards! this information was given to me by a professional camera sales assistant.

so putting your equipment through an xray machine is fine and WILL NOT hurt your camera or memory cards.

glad i could help!
Simply not true.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:10 PM   #10

Is it really that bad ?

Last Christmas I flew all over the West Coast of the USA, from Australia, entering and exiting airports no less than 11 times, and I had my Digital Camera with 3 SD cards in my personal carrybag (Sandisk Extreme III 1GB, Ultra II 1GB and the regular 1GB cards), and they had gone through different airport security x-rays at least 7 times - without any problems.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote