Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:15 AM   #21

The only lame thing about the Z750 and Z850 is the very lame 115,000 pixels LCD. Casio does such a nice job of all the bells and whistles, and goes cheapo on this. I would be all over this if they had a 200k+ pixel LCD. But... it does have some excellent qualities you can't find in other cameras... tempting to take another look at it. If the Z850 had the better screen I'd buy it. Also, I don't think "digital stabilization" is where it's at - optical is far better. Maybe the 950 will fix these two things and we'll finally have that elusive "perfect" pocket camera. (well - perhaps give us ISO 1600 without noise, while you're at it).
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:22 AM   #22

Oh, and you can't go wider than 38mm on the Casio's- no add-on lenses.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:52 PM   #23

Quote:
The only lame thing about the Z750 and Z850 is the very lame 115,000 pixels LCD. Casio does such a nice job of all the bells and whistles, and goes cheapo on this. I would be all over this if they had a 200k+ pixel LCD. But... it does have some excellent qualities you can't find in other cameras... tempting to take another look at it. If the Z850 had the better screen I'd buy it. Also, I don't think "digital stabilization" is where it's at - optical is far better. Maybe the 950 will fix these two things and we'll finally have that elusive "perfect" pocket camera. (well - perhaps give us ISO 1600 without noise, while you're at it).

Oh, and you can't go wider than 38mm on the Casio's - no add-on lenses.
When the Z750 came out early last year there was a relationship between screen resolution and battery power. Battery life on the Z750 is excellent. Since that release small cameras have come out with high resolution screens that are also meager with power. Casio should have a higher resolution screen on the Z850 since it is their top of the line pocket camera.

My near vision isn't great and I can't really see the difference. But for someone with good near vision who wants to zoom in on fine detail high resolution is nice. I highly prefer the larger screen to a smaller one regardless of resolution. Casio did a marvelous job of squeezing a large screen and an optical finder on such a tiny camera.

Evidently everyone is pleased with the digital stabilization with movies on the new Casios. Digital stabilization isn't as good as true optical stabilization but it seems OK for the movies. Digital stabilization on the Casio cameras for still pictures is still useless though.

About the last thing I would want to carry around would be a P200 with aux lenses. For a lot less hassle and pocket space you can get a true wide angle camera with full manual everything and excellent controls in a Canon S70 or S80.

My first digital camera was a Minolta D7i, and I bought it because it was the only thing available with a wide angle at the time. I wanted a pocket camera with wide angle but there wasn't anything. I found I could grab a couple or three panorama shots with the camera held vertically with my C50 and end up with a 4:3 shot from my 38mm camera of about 27mm. And with the added benefit of having half again the Mp.

The Z750 is also good for that even though it doesn't have a panorama mode. Continuous mode is slow enough to frame the individual shots and it fixes all the shooting parameters for stitching in a fast simple program. It works fine for group shots and even flash pictures, although you have to use more sophisticated stitching software because the exposures aren't exactly the same unless you want to go to full manual exposure. You have a choice of taking the time when shooting or when stitching. But even manual exposure is probably faster than fishing out an aux lens to accomplish the same thing.

There are a few circumstances it is difficult for, but it works fine for probably 90% of the wide angle shots I want to take. And the other 10% are OK if I want to mess with sophisticated stitching.

A lady on the Casio board at dpreview designed a very nice holder for aux lenses that works well on the Z750. That isn't my cup of tea though. I bought a pair of Nikon polarized sunglasses with optical quality and neutral color lenses. I tilt my head until the polarization looks best and then hold one of the lenses in front of the camera at the same angle. Results are excellent. But when I am through I just put my filter back on my nose where it usually sits rather than have to store it somewhere. I feel the same way about aux lenses for wide angle. It is faster to grab the panoramas than mess with retrieving and attaching a lens. And with the Casio I have over 10Mp if I get something I want on my wall.

To me it defeats the purpose of a tiny pocket camera to carry and mess with aux lenses.

I agree 100% that it would be nice if someone would combine features. The Z850 with optical stabilization and/or good high ISO capability would be great. But I like having an optical finder and full manual controls with a good control setup. So I'm stuck with Casio for the time being.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:04 PM   #24

You make a strong case. I actually did have the 750 for a few days, but I think it was the LCD that turned me off, or perhaps image quality not being up to par. Since then I realize that the default settings are not optimal, so perhaps I need to give it another try. As for wide angle... well, it's not that big a deal to attach the lens. Thing is, even 28mm isn't really quite wide enough. 24mm would be better. But, with the OPTION I have for adding on, I can go to 18mm - and not have to hassle with creating a panorama stitching - though, perhaps it's not as much of a pain as it might sound.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:36 PM   #25

Spent my spare time this past week driving to every camera store within an hour or so of home.¬* Wow, didn't realize I was living in such a backwater!¬* None had any of the cameras I wanted to look at in stock, and most said they don't carry wide angle.¬* I am surprised, as there was a lot of variety in camera brands, etc.¬* I was hoping to have the chance to compare hands on, but it's not gonna happen. So I'm going with the Nikon 8400 - wide angle, no add on lens, fairly small.¬* Looks¬*I'll have to buy online - Life is too short to drive any further.¬* Does anyone have a favorite site to buy equipment from?
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:57 PM   #26

I'd stop a sec and look at the review for the 8400 on dpreview.com. They prefer the Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom - "Every once in a while one camera stands out and sets a trend, the Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom is one such camera, it's fast, well built and has excellent image quality. ". This is in the Conclusion section for the 8400!! Check Google for prices - I saw it for $489, (http://www.clselectronicstore.com/st...p?idProduct=64)

It is, however, only 28mm wide, (but zooms to 140 versus the 8400's 85)- and the 8400 has barrel distortion at 24mm, so... you may end up cropping to 28mm anyway.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:36 PM   #27

Katie-

New Nikon 8400 cameras are getting hard to find. I spent about 40 minutes searching, and the best deal I found was with Cameta Camera in Amityville, NY. They are highly respected and they happen to be E-Bay's biggest seller of cameras. They are currently closing out Nikon's corporate cameras and are offering the 8400'sat a very low price (around $400) on E-Bay.Cameta is offeringa full one year Nikon guarantee.

They have an excellent rating by http://www.resellerratings.com. I have bought over 6 cameras from them and I have never had a single problem.

I checked http://www.pricegrabber.com and http://www.shopping.com and neither lists the Olympus C-8080 as being available for retail sale. It is a great camera and I own one, so I am speaking from hands on experience. I checked the suggested retailer, CLS Electronics, at http://www.resellerratings.com and CLS is not even listed. I would be wary.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:31 AM   #28

I have a bid in on an 8400 on eBay.¬* It's reassuring to know someone's had good enough experiences to buy six cameras from Cameta - thanks mtclimber.¬* I also had looked around for the Olympus 8080 without success.¬* My old film camera is an Olympus, it's a great little camera and I never had any trouble with it.¬*¬*
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:36 PM   #29

Katie-

Lately the Olympus C-8080 cameras have been moving at around $700 on E-Bay. That would be considerably more than the cost of a Nikon 8400. Yes, the C-8080 is a great camera, but quite a bit larger in size than the Nikon 8400. The price of the C-8080 has been forced upwards due to a scarcity of cameras.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:40 PM   #30

The link I included above has the Oly C-8080 for $489 - brand new. Just do a Google for "Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom". Good to have options...