Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:36 PM   #1

I've been looking for a camera that I can use as a point & shoot but will allow me to explore more options.¬* This is my first digicam.¬* For now I need something that's pretty simple, but hope to also be able to use it to learn more about photography and develop some hands-on practice.¬* Ideally, what I really love is landscape photography, particularly B&W.¬* ¬*But also need a camera for simple vacation pics, etc.¬* It is a lot to ask.¬*So far, the Canon A620 and S2 IS seem to meet my needs.¬* How to decide?¬* The A20 appears to accept a wide angle lens as an add-on.¬* But the S2 IS seems to allow more manual control, which would allow me to use the camera to experiment & learn. And will either of these cameras meet my desire to explore landscape pics?¬* Need a Mac compatible camera.¬* Any suggestions appreciated!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:09 PM   #2
E.T

All cameras can be used as point&shoot... you won't find any camera which wouldn't have automatic mode.

Katie wrote:
Quote:
So far, the Canon A620 and S2 IS seem to meet my needs.¬* How to decide?¬* The A20 appears to accept a wide angle lens as an add-on.
Converters are just one thing you wouldn't want to use regularly... especially in vacations!

And neither of those is good for landscapes... those don't have good wide angle. I would suggest getting camera with at least 28mm wide angle.
KonicaMinolta A200 would have stabilized 28-200mm. (very nice range for general nature photography/sky phenomenons)
Then Fuji S9000 has 28-300mm.
Kodak P880 has 24-140mm lens. (very wide, but compact standard tele)

Other cameras with 28mm are compacts whose controls aren't designed for anything else than P&S.

I don't know how many cameras there's with software supporting Mac, but better cameras show to PC as removable USB mass storage which should work in every modern OS.
(in every case I would prefer using separate USB card reader)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:20 PM   #3

Yes, the A200 has the best zoom range and it is image stabilised. Like the S2 it has a nice flip out display. It now even doesn't cost much more because Konica Minolta is leaving the camera business. Unlike the S2 the A200 supports raw images. The only drawback is its size. The A200 is really a bulky camera and the S2 is much easier to carry around.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:05 PM   #4

The Casio Z120 is an ultra small camera selling for around $ (US) 200.00. Itis a bargain way to get the features desired in the OP, as well as high quality 7mpimages,but it will not provide a wide angle focal length.

It is a simple and straight forward camera that also provides 32 scene modes as well. In the Casio Z120 you would have access to a full set of both automatic and manual camera settings, thus providing a low cost learning tool that is fully capable of both landscape and holiday/vacation shots.

However, if you desire more zoom or a wide angle the selection becomes somewhat different.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:31 PM   #5

Thanks - looks like I need to do a little more research!¬*¬*
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:12 PM   #6

The P880 from Kodak has a 24mm wide angle. I personally don't like it build quality ( feels tooplasticy ), but for landscapes, you can't beat a 24mm ultra wide angle lens.

If you need a more compact camera, the S80 is an compact camera with a 28mm wide angle and manual options.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:26 PM   #7

You probably should specify the size cam you're looking for - pants pocket; coat pocket, or camera bag. If you're talking pants pocket, I'd go with the Sony P200 - you can add on lenses, it's 7.2mp, has optical vf, and gets top ratings from Steves Digicams and DPReview.com. It has manual controls, scene modes, and all auto. I had the A620 but didn't like the build quality. It was also NOT a pants pocket camera, but a coat pocket or belt case type. The P200 is a little big for a pocket, but not much. Works fine for my front jeans pocket. It's also on sale at Best Buy for $265 right now - or was last week. Can't beat it.

If you have the $$, go for the Sony R1. Next best thing to a dSLR - and perhaps better. If the coat pocket thing doesn't bother you, the A620 is an excellent choice - love the flip out LCD. There are some cmaeras coming pout that have a wide view of the LCD, so that's something to consider - Panasonic TZ1 is a STRONG choice, coming in May or sooner, perhaps, BUT no manual controls. Such a shame. There's always something. The Panasonic LX1 is great - except for the noise problem. Too bad they just didn't put the Venus III chip in the LX1 - you'd have the perfect camera.

Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:16 PM   #8

addicted-

Please take a good look at the OP. This is a first digital camera, simplicity is desired. This is a "testing the waters scenario." It is surely not an OP that is looking for the sophistication and the advanced features of the Sony R-1 at around $(US) 900 to 1,000. So please. Let's be serious shall we, please.

I still believe that the Casio Z120, which is totally MAC compatible,at around $(US) 200 is a much better answer. Perhaps it is time to ask Katie for some clarification.

How about it, Katie, are we getting close to the ideal digital camera that you are searching for right now?

MT
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:29 PM   #9

I've been reading reviews for all the cameras suggested, and yes, I think I am closer.¬* Also realize that I was really far off base, and so am grateful for all the suggestions.¬* The Kodak P880 looks interesting - the wide lens and seems easy enough to start on.¬* I'm hoping¬* to get out to try it in a store later in the week.¬* The search continues.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:02 PM   #10

Katie-

http://www.costco.com still has their $(US) 399.99 sale price going on the Kodak P-880. You won't find it any cheaper than that, and Costco has a very liberal return policy. So you could purchase the P-880, collect the rebate, and still return the P-880, while getting all your maoney back. There are not many "deals" that good.

MT