Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:32 PM   #1

I need the best camera to take sharp detailed close up shots of my glass lampwork beads to post on a web site and ebay. I will be using mostly artificial light in a homemade light box. I want good depth of field so the whole strand is in sharp focus. I need a good white balance function. I have seen really good pictures other lampwork artist have taken using a Nikon coolpix 5700. But these are almost impossible to find new. I have been looking at the canon slr eos 20d w/ macro lenses. If the canon 20d will work just as good as the coolpix 5700 which lens would you recommend and what other accessories. I really like the fact that the canon 20d is more versatile. But my main objective is the camera that will give me the best pictures of my beads to sell on the internet. So any suggestions would be appreciated!! There is tough competition out there so good pictures is a must!!! Maybe there is a better camera for the job that I have completely overlooked!!!

Thank You

Sabrina Storey:?
slstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:58 PM   #2

Sabrina-

I think that you might have to be a bit more specific in your request. Can you show us an example photo of the kind of photos that you want to take. Also what close-up ratio do you desire. Is 1 to1 sufficient?

The depth of field requirement will be especially hard for any camera.I have taken two sample photos usinga pair of earrings with my Canon S-2 in the Super Macro Mode and then my KM 5D equipped with with a highly rated Vivitar Macro lens. Please take note of the fact that the KM 5D photo has very specific points of focus and VERY LITTLE depth of field at all.

It is obvious to me, at least,that a dSLR such as a Canon 20D equipped with a specialized Macro Lens will NOT give you the depth of field that you desire at all. I would have used my Canon 20D but I just sold it. Notice that the Canon S-2 IS which has great Macro flexibility did a much better job on the earrings. You can still easily detect where the point of focus really is located in the Canon S-2 photo, but there is a much greater depth of field than that which is seen in the KM 5D photo.

We will need to get your responses, but I think that we are a bit closer to being more specific about your requirements, Sabrina

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:09 PM   #3

MT

I guess I need to learn how to post pics in forum before I start asking these kind of questions. I've been trying to post a pic not as easy as clicking a button!! need to work on that!! Your reply was very informative. Any Photo information is good information at this point in my learning curve! Thank you very much for your response, you where very nice to take the time out and post those pics!!:-) First I need to learn how to post pics in forum, and second I don't need to make any major purchases until I figure out exactly what I need especially for what I'm trying to do. Definately don't need to purchase a 20d just yet!! I sure would like to be able to justify an slr camera!!!

Sabrina
slstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:35 PM   #4

Sabrina,

Ive been taking lots of macro pictures for brochures. I am using an advanced point and shoot camera to handle it and works great. Im using an panasonic FZ30. I shoot mostly metallic connectors with finishes ranging from Nickel, black chrome to silver. I went with this camera instead of the more advanced SLR because of the following reasons.
  1. Since it has a smaller sensor the depth of field isfairly deep, keep the whole image in focus.[/*]
  2. I can frame using the Live preview LCD instead of using the optical view finder[/*]
  3. Full set of manual controls[/*]
  4. 5cm min macro distance
[/*]
I also use a +4 closeup lens, remote switch and a light box. I have a friend who uses the same setup with a fujifilm S9000 and have made very impressive pics also. He has a Canon rebel XT but prefered the s9000 for macro because of ease of use.

Hope that helps

Roy

royco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:42 PM   #5
Administrator

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Please take note of the fact that the KM 5D photo has very specific points of focus and VERY LITTLE depth of field at all.

It is obvious to me, at least,that a dSLR such as a Canon 20D equipped with a specialized Macro Lens will NOT give you the depth of field that you desire at all.
You have to stop down the aperture. ;-)

You were at f/3.2 for the KM Macro photo.

A non-DSLR model will have dramatically greater Depth of Field for a given aperture, focus distance and focal length.

So, for closeups with a DSLR, you need to use a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number), increasing ISO speed as needed to keep shutter speeds usable if you don't want to use a tripod.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote