Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:56 PM   #1

Hi,

first of all thank you for your time reading this topic

I'm going to buy a new camera (first one ) and my needs are smallest as possible, very good image quality but from a point-and-shoot view (so no need for perfectionism).

Primarily i will use it in my holidays and after that to take photos in parties, friends, etc

After viewing many reviews i have narrowed to these:
- Sony T9 : ultra-compact + IS, but a bit "heavy and fat" when compared for example with T7
- Sony N1 : 8mb, better ccd , light, 3" touch lcd, but a bit larger and no IS
- Panasonic FX9 : compact, light, good lcd, leica lens, IS, but the pictures tend to have the purple fringe problem

Then there are these ones, but i havent yet read any full review (with images)
- Panasonic FX01 : all from fx9, wide lens 3.6x, faster, but + 100€ compared with fx9
- Pentax T10 : small, touch lcd, no IS

Also:
- Nikon 7900 and Nikon P4: good machines, but not quite compact, and 7900 no IS, but P4 a bit pricy.

So the big question is ... the IS really matters? I read and viewed some examples, and looks that is a good feature, not just marketing like many others

Please help me,
Thanks
kalavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:52 PM   #2

I don't think it is reasonable to reject the T9 because it is larger than the T7. The T7 wasn't a very good camera by comparison. The others in your list are larger than the T9 and that is what is significant.

I find stabilization to be a very good feature. People who haven't used it think it is a feature necessary on very long zoom lenses but not particularly significant for lower power lenses. The 3 f-stops they advertise for stabilization might be slightly optimistic, but it is close and applies to all focal lengths. So the shot you could handhold at 1/30 second in wide without stabilization you can handhold near 1/4 second with stabilization. I think it is especially important on cameras without an optical viewfinder because the hold isn't as steady out in front of you.

Stabilization doesn't help for subject movement though – just hand movement. You have to crank up the ISO to capture movement if the light isn't bright enough to generate enough shutter speed. The T9 has an advantage over the FX9 in that it is much better than average at ISO400 where the FX9 isn't great at higher ISO. The combination of stabilization and decent higher ISO performance should make the camera versatile in more lighting conditions.

I think the T9 has a slightly better lens but the flash isn't as strong. The size difference is very small. Both have excellent LCDs.

I like that the T9 comes with lots of internal memory rather than a throw-away card like the FX9. You can use that memory for permanent photo albums or as overflow if you fill your card.

The N1 is really nifty and has the good ISO400 capability. I'm not sure whether the touch screen would be that superior, but it is a nice conversation piece. It is larger than the other two and doesn't have stabilization.

The Nikon 7900 isn't real quick for full press shutter response and cycle times are slow by current standards. The resolution charts at dpreview weren't very impressive.

I would want to see some good critical reviews for the others. The FX01 looks promising with wide angle and stabilization, but the proof is in the pudding.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:14 AM   #3

I have an FX9, and I am very satisfied with it.

The T9 is an excellent camera, and it was in my initial considerations. However, it was too expensive, and compared to the SD format, Memory sticks are really pricey.

The FX9 does lack manual controls, but it is a good all purpose camera.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:40 AM   #4

Quote:
The T9 is an excellent camera, and it was in my initial considerations. However, it was too expensive, and compared to the SD format, Memory sticks are really pricey.
Comp USA has a 1 Gig Sandisk Ultra II Memory Stick Pro Duo card for $69 after a $15 rebate this week. It is actually the cheapest fast memory I see advertised locally.

You have to compare apples to apples. Yes, you can get some pretty cheap SD memory. No, you probably wouldn't want to put it in your new fast camera.

I shouldn't be defending oddball memory. If everyone would vote with their feet and just not buy Sony, Olympus and Fuji cameras we could get some reasonable standardization. But if it was my money and the camera was going in my pocket I wouldn't consider memory type in the decision. I usually get a large competent card and marry it to the camera. By the time the camera is obsolete the memory is as well. But the FX9 is considerably cheaper than the T9 and one of the better bargains available.

Quote:
The FX9 does lack manual controls, but it is a good all purpose camera.
I chose my pocket camera because it has full manual everything and an optical viewfinder. I could get by without the manual controls. Aperture priority is good for opening the lens to blur the backgrounds in portraits or to maximize shutter speed for action, but most P&S cameras have portrait and action modes that do the same thing. Aperture priority is necessary for automatic flash units, but pocket cameras don't use those. You can handle most backlight or odd lighting with EV shift referring to a live histogram or with spot metering. Manual focus isn't that great on a LCD – especially since most smaller digitals don't bother to give you a digital readout of the focus distance. Full manual with 60 seconds of exposure is great for night shots on a tripod, but most people who get tiny pocket cameras don't lug a tripod around with them. I would do fine without manual controls in most situations.

I wouldn't want to be without an optical viewfinder though. When you are zoomed it is hard to quickly acquire and follow moving targets. And even the best LCDs aren't great in bright sunlight. An exception to that are the transreflective LCDs, but I think only Sanyo is currently putting them on their hybrids. Even so, if the T9 had been available when I got my camera I might have chosen it instead.

Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:37 PM   #5

Many thanks to both for the replies.

My big indecision is really between FX9 and T9. Do i want a stylish, folded-lens, weaker flash and a bit heavier (T9) ? Or a better in features camera, lighter, but with the purple friging problem (FX9)?

Btw, here (in Portugal), i can get the FX9 Black for 344€ and the T9 Black for 374€.

Memory Stick PRO Duo 512Mb = 59.90€ , Secure Digital Sandisk 512 Mb Ultra II = 49.50€

Here it is a side-by-side comparation: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...9&show=all

Also ... what do you think about Fujifilm FinePix V10 ? I have read 1 good review about it ... but i dont know Fuji machines very well

Any extra help?

Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:52 PM   #6

Hi, I'm currently looking for a great ultracompact cam for low light situations (nightbclubs, bars, parties...). I noticed that you have been contemplating the sama models as I have. About FX9 and T9, these two were my top choices (N1 has that touch screen I don't particularly like) but both had their problems: FX9 is really noisy and not that great in low light and T9 is even worse in low light. Both of these cams appealed to me because I prefer black models and models that are extra slim. I mean I can consider a larger cam but when the Fujifilm F10/F11 recommendations come I say "No way, too big for me!"

Anyway, here's my final three:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...1&show=all

Right now, I really want as new a cam as I can get so I won't be looking through the older models... FX01 is cool and has higher ISO levels but again the noise factor is what decides its fate. SD630 (or Ixus 65 here in Finland) looks like a great cam: Canon-quality, big screen, nice style... but is Canon great in low light? And then there's the Casio EX-Z850 which should be the favourite since it's the successor of EX-Z750 which is a hugely popular and preferred cam. But is Casio a quality brand? And also, the optical viewfinder in unnecessary for me.

You asked about Fujifilm V10 and when someone recommended me this cam yesterday I was excited at first since it looked kinda cool, had a big screen and Fujifilm does have a great rep of making cams that work in low light. But then I read this cam has games in it... GAMES. Okey, I really have to wonder now if the big innovation of this camera is games and if quality and performance are secondary.

REMEMBER, THE TOP PRIORITY FOR ME IS THAT THE CAM FEELS GOOD INSIDE MY INNER BREAST POCKET OF MY JACKET. I mention this because there's always these dudes who recommended SRLs despite my saying that I really need a slim and small camera (= under 25mm in depth and under 180g in weight).

kalavera wrote:
Quote:
Many thanks to both for the replies.

My big indecision is really between FX9 and T9. Do i want a stylish, folded-lens, weaker flash and a bit heavier (T9) ? Or a better in features camera, lighter, but with the purple friging problem (FX9)?

Btw, here (in Portugal), i can get the FX9 Black for 344€ and the T9 Black for 374€.

Memory Stick PRO Duo 512Mb = 59.90€ , Secure Digital Sandisk 512 Mb Ultra II = 49.50€

Here it is a side-by-side comparation: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...9&show=all

Also ... what do you think about Fujifilm FinePix V10 ? I have read 1 good review about it ... but i dont know Fuji machines very well

Any extra help?
JungleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:58 PM   #7

Quote:
The Sony T9 is 6.6 cu in and weighs 134g empty. The FX9 is 7.4 cu in and weighs 127g empty. The Sony battery is smaller with lower power and I don't understand the published difference in weights with the batteries installed. The T9 is definitely smaller. And the FX9 flash is better.

Quote:
FX9 is really noisy and not that great in low light and T9 is even worse in low light.
With optical stabilization and better than average ISO400 performance the T9 should be great in low light. It is a little lower in light gathering at wide but better at telephoto than the FX9. The only camera I can think of that would be better in low light would be the Fuji F10/11/30. The Fuji would be better for action in low light and the T9 would give better still photos.

Perhaps you are referring to the T9 flash. It isn't great but about average for a small camera.

Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:40 PM   #8

Hi ... while searching i bumped with the casio machines ... what do you think about them? Especially the new Casio Z60 or the Z600.

I found them really nice and with a good price (+-100€ less compared with T9).

The only minors are the less definition LCD's and the Anti-Shake DSP (is at the same level of the image stabilization from the T9??)

Thanks for the advice