Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:33 AM   #1

Hello I am hoping to purchase a digital camera for our family.

We will be wanting to take long shots of horses, sky and landscape as well as family shots and other spur of the moment things.

Have looked at info on the Konica Minolta DiMage Z5 and it looks like a good 'bang for the buck' camera. Have also looked at info on Kodak DX 7590 and Cannon Powershot S2 IS... and some others... things are starting to blur for me with the lingo and I would greatly appreciate input.

Thank you in advance.
SheilaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:43 PM   #2

Sheila-

IMHO I would drop the KM Z-5 from your list. The Kodak Z-7590 is a good camera. It is currently on sale at www.costco.com for $239.99, which is a gangbusters price. Also Costco has one of the most liberal return policies, which woul allow you to try the Z7590 and then return it, if you did not like it.

The Canon S-2 is an excellent choice, as well. It has received great reviews and most users love the S-2. I have used the KM Z-5 extensively and then returned it because Ifelt it was not quiteas capable as I had hoped for. I currently own and extensively use both the Canon S-2 and the Kodak Z7590.

The best buy is clearly the Kodak Z7590. If you want to spend more the Canon S-2 can give you a lot of quality, but keep in mind that the quality comes at a price.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:14 PM   #3

Thank you very much. Does the Kodak z7590 have the Image Stabilization (like the DX7590) ?

I will try to read more about it...I saw that it has 32mb of internal memory and comes with a rechargeable battery / charger... I liked that.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:39 PM   #4

I wouldn't buy any longer zoom (10x, 12x) camera without any sort of image stablization. From what I know, kodak doesn't have it.

For longer zooms, pansonic FZ series are nice. I only use them for outdoor shots.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:58 PM   #5

The Z7590 doesn't have image stablization!

But...

The P850 from kodakhas a12x zoom and Image stablization!!
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:07 PM   #6

Would you say that it would be comparable to the Cannon PowerShot S2 IS? Or better or not quite as good? (Quality and Ease of Use)
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:10 PM   #7

The KM Z5 is not a bad camera at all. You only have to know, that Konica Minolta is leaving the camera business. While their DSLR business is taken over by Sony, their P&S camera business is simply shut down. Thus future service will be very poor. On the other hand current prices for the Z5 are rediculously low and the S2 IS is not that much better. You may also look at the more expensive KM A200, which doesn't cost much more than the S2 IS, but is clearly better.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:54 PM   #8

kassandro-

Yes, I agree that the KM A-200 is clearly the better camera, but it is also costs $(US) 200.00, more than the Z7590. I shied away from the KM Z-5 because it was less than I wanted in an ultra zoom and it will very soon (04/01) become a total orphan just like the A-200 will become.

The Kodak Z7590 does not have IS but then it is also $(US) 75 to 80 cheaper than the Canon S-2 IS. it is very easy to use, and it has a very simple to use menu structure.

If IS is an issue for you then be ready to pay the $(US) 310 to 340 for the Canon S-2. It is the better camera, but reality has to set in somewhere. The bottom line is how much do you really want to spend. We have to keep that in mind for our posters as well.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:31 PM   #9

The Sony H1 has image stablization and can be bought for a good price as the replacements are coming soon. It works great in good light at fast shutter speeds. At slow shutter speeds you will get the dreaded shaking hand symbol but most of the pictures still turn out quite well. I think stabilization is great but it will not work for everything. A good tripod is needed with low light shots. The Kodak is much cheaper and should take good pictures if $ is a major factor. The Canon and the Fuji 5200 would also be choices. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:56 AM   #10

So from the Cannon PS S2 IS, Fuji FinePixS5200, and Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 and the Minolta DiMage z5...

As far as overall quality of pictures, speed between pics, ability to take action shots, ability for low light/ evening / morning shots, sharpness, distance shots, and ease of use... from your experience?

Would you mind giving your opinion and reason why?

(I see that the Fuji FinePix s5200 has an ISO 1600 and I have no idea what that means really. But it has the 10x optical zoom vs the 12x)

I see prices thus far are Cannon 329.95, Fuji 277.95 and Sony 331.95 (and the Sony comes with rechargeable batteries and charger) ... the Minolta was least.

Thank you. (Since this will be a first, your input is VERY MUCH appreciated.)