Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:11 AM   #1

At the moment I'm using a Kodak Easyshare DX4900 which we bought 3 years ago to take baby photos. It's a good little camera and the photos are clear, but it's quite slow starting up, and there seems to be quite a delay between pressing the button and taking the photo. This means I miss quit a lot of good photos of the kids (age 3 and 1 and therefore at theirmost photogenicright now!).

I'm saving up to buy a new digital camera, but I'm not sure which would be best. A friend recommended the Konica Minolta Z1, which looks good, but I would never use the movie function as we have a perfectly good video camera. It seems silly to pay for a camera with the movie-taking capability when I wouldn't use it, but I am struggling to find a "camera-only". Do all new digital cameras also shoot videos?

I'd also like slightly more than the 2x optical zoom that the DX4900 has.

Can anyone recommend a camera that would suit my needs, without breaking the bank?

Thanks!

Keiju
KeijuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:33 AM   #2

Dslr's don't have movie modes, nor does the sony R1, but these are higher end purchases. In reality, I don't think you're paying extra for the movie mode as most P&S digicams have it. It also does not affect start-up time or lag time either.

There are so many good cameras out there its hard to recommend just one. Let us know what your price range is so we can narrow things down a bit.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Price range is preferably below $350, but could go a bit higher if I was prepared to wait a bit longer and not be impatient! :?

Keiju
KeijuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:07 PM   #4

It is impractical to look for a regular consumer camera without a movie mode. Economics of scale make it cheaper to put them on all of the cameras rather than have models without movies.

Go through Steve's best cameras list and refine your requirements a little. Each listing is a link to the full review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

You can get a Panasonic FZ5 with a stabilized 12X zoom from Butterfly for $330 – all costs included. But you can't put it in your pocket.

If you don't need an eyelevel viewfinder the Panasonic LZ5 is about $262 delivered. And their 3X zoom FX9 is tiny with an excellent LCD for about the same price. Both have optical stabilization.

I'm not partial to Panasonic, but you would probably be happy with stabilization and Panasonic has some cameras with stabilization within your price range.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote