Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:31 PM   #1

I am really going crazy :?trying to decide between these two cameras. I would really appreciate any/all help you can share.

I am very impressed with the Canon video I have seen. It far surpasses the Sony. But I am reading that the Sony takes better photos...especially with a higher ISO. I am a novice, so I don't really understand it, but that the Canon has more noise at the higher ISOs.

Here is what I'll be using the camera for: taking photos of my 4 beautiful children (including an active toddler), taking cool nature pictures (sunsets, up-close pics of flowers, etc.), taking pictures and videos at my childrens' sports events (indoor basketball and outdoor football, dance, etc.) I am obviously a novice photographer, but have always loved taking pictures and have received many compliments on them. (These are with a 35mm camera; I have a Nikon N65.)

PLEASE help me! I am waking in the night thinking of these two cameras! I just want to make the right decision and not regret my choice.

Thank you so very much!

Crazy:?

crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:19 PM   #2

I was in the same situation about 2 months ago, its actually between the H1, the S2 and the FZ5. I ended up with the FZ30 and ive been happy eversince. Altho initially I was leaning towards the H1, but just before I pulled the trigger I held an FZ30 and started doing research about it. It not a perfect camera but it serves my purpose as a Novice hobbyist. If its just between the H1 and S2 Id go for the H1 because it looks sharp and feels good in my hand, both should take very good pics.

Oh and BTW the upgraded models for both the H1 and the S2 were announced already.

Happy shooting
royco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:29 PM   #3

There are numerous past threads on the debate between these 2 cameras.. I've owned Sony cameras for some time.. I my opinion, their older models are better than their new ones. I've been REALLY dissappointed with the color in Sony cams.. Very washed out.

I chose the S2 for a few reasons. The flip/ swivel lcd.. It's awesome!!! If I'm alone with my 2 sons at the park, i can take a photo of us, and still see the screen. Same goes for standing at the BACK of a chirstmas concert audience, and being able to lift the camera above my head and take great shots.

The video.. yes. is amazing. When I backup.. I place it between photos and footage from my camcorder for playback later in sequence. The quality is comparable (though not replacable) to the footage taken from my camcorder.

The zoom is AWESOME.. I'm unsure about the Sony, but with the S2 you can zoom during video. Here's a clip from mine (full verison).. http://files.blog-city.com/files/M04...s2feb5_136.avi

Here's a smaller compressed file (thus loss of quality): http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site...9651d959ea77a1

It fits perfect in my hand (the H1 just didn't). Its more comapct than carrying extra lenses for zoom or a dslr.

The noise is explained as little tiny black dots or faint blotches when you zoom into your photo.. These often happen at low light and high ISO (ie ISO 400 and up). Not really a problem in my opinion unless you're a professional. I can't see a problem with it on my camera.. Here are a couple of shots of my boyswithmy S2.

Pretty dark room.. flash used.
Attached Images

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:30 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:31 PM   #5

. Low light action (break dancing...lol)
Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:46 PM   #6

Royco: THANK YOU for sharing about the upgraded models! I am definitely going to wait until they come out and then decide!

VW Mom: Thank you for sharing so much about your experience, and for sharing your awesome video and pictures! My boys LOVED the big trucks!

Your boys are precious! Love the break dancing!

WHEW! Maybe now I can relax...at least for a few months!!!:?

Crazy
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:13 PM   #7

I am glad vwmom loves her Canon. I am sure it is a fine camera and the pictures are very good. I own the Sony and my colors are beautiful and the prints are awsome. I really do not think you can go wrong with either camera however. Sometimes your decision comes down to the feeling of the camera in your hand and the features of the camera. The reviews of both are excellent so go to the store and buy the one the feels the best . C. W
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:10 AM   #8

The Panasonic F7 would also be an alternative...
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote