Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:33 PM   #1
RD

I was all set to order the Sony H2 but now I am reconsidering.... Does anyone currently own the Sony H1 or Canon S2 that could help me decide. I really like that the Sony H2 will have a 6.0 MP but I do like the zoom movie feature and LCD screen on the Canon S2.How are the colors when printed out? Just when I think I have my mind made up.... I would be using the camera mostly to take pictures of my 2 year old daughter. She is constantly on the go. Any helpful advice would be great!

RD
RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 6:13 PM   #2

I don't think anyone outside Sony or Canon has the H2 and S3 yet. You will have to wait a while for some good reviews.

Without knowing a person or their experience I wouldn't put much faith another person's first impressions.

The S2 and H1 are both good cameras. I would anticipate their successors would be as well. The H1 has no burst mode and I use that often on my Panasonic. Other than that and one's preference for a large compared to an articulated LCD there isn't a lot of quality difference. Full press shutter lag is faster in wide on the H1 but slower at telephoto.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:07 AM   #3

You refer to the S2.. not the S3.. At anyrate.. I've posted a lot on the S2.. I have 2 toddlers myself and LOVE this camera.. Use the search box above.. You can search my username, or posts on the S2 itself.. There is a lot of discussion about it.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:39 AM   #4

As usual the Sony H2 will have better noise performance. In all other respects the S3 should be ahead or at least equal. The H2 uses only two AA batteries. This is a joke for an ultrazoom, where you don't have an OVF. You will have to change batteries all the time - especially in the winter. Finally with the H2 you are forced into Sony's proprietary memory sticks causing additonal costs.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:33 AM   #5

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
As usual the Sony H2 will have better noise performance. In all other respects the S3 should be ahead or at least equal. The H2 uses only two AA batteries. This is a joke for an ultrazoom, where you don't have an OVF. You will have to change batteries all the time - especially in the winter. Finally with the H2 you are forced into Sony's proprietary memory sticks causing additonal costs.
The H1 had good battery life and Sony has been doing a good job with the efficiency of their electronics. If two high capacity NiMH batteries will fill your memory card it doesn't make a lot of sense to have the extra weight and bulk of two more. I would wait for a good review of the H2 before claiming that you will have to regularly change batteries.

You don't want to put slow memory into that level of camera. If you compare apples to apples and compare only quality brands of fast memory you don't pay that much more for Memory Stick Pro.

In this week's Sales Circular the cheapest 1 Gb fast memory listed is a Sandisk Ultra II Memory Stick Pro Duo for $70 after rebate at CompUSA. Without rebates and deals you will probably pay a little for Memory Stick Pro than for quality fast SD, but the amount is small enough that it isn't sufficient for making a camera choice on IMO.

Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:14 AM   #6
RD

I think I am going to wait and see how the reviews on the H2 are before I decide. I don't want to buy one and wish I had purchased the other. I have checked into a lot of the discussions regarding the Canon S2 and I was so impressed by being able to zoom while in the movie mode. In my previous digital camera the movie mode was very dark and you could barely see the people in it. vwmom-- Your monster truck video is awesome! Thanks for posting it in a previous discussion. That is what got me thinking about purchasing the S2. My price range is not to go over $400 and the S3 looks like it is going to retail for $500. Thanks for all the helpful input.

RD
RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:37 AM   #7

slipe wrote:
Quote:
You don't want to put slow memory into that level of camera. If you compare apples to apples and compare only quality brands of fast memory you don't pay that much more for Memory Stick Pro.

In this week's Sales Circular the cheapest 1 Gb fast memory listed is a Sandisk Ultra II Memory Stick Pro Duo for $70 after rebate at CompUSA. Without rebates and deals you will probably pay a little for Memory Stick Pro than for quality fast SD, but the amount is small enough that it isn't sufficient for making a camera choice on IMO.
When I spoke about the "additional cost" I didn't only mean the price difference between SD and memory stick. If you want to buy your next camera and if you have a lot memory sticks, then you either must choose a Sony again or your investment in memory cards becomes worthless.That's why I refuse to buy cameras with XD cards or memory sticks. Companies which impose useless standards on their customers, should be boycotted. Then they will probably realise that it is better to adhere to customer friendly standards and change their behavior.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:37 AM   #8

Deleted!!!

Sorry, the last post was doubled!
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:20 AM   #9

kassandro I tend to agree with you in you change cameras regularly. Or if you keep a bunch of small cards and rotate them between cameras.

I haven't had a situation yet where I could transfer cards although I have had 3 cameras with SD. By the time I upgrade, the cards in the old cameras are too small or too slow.

I tend to get the largest card I think I might need and marry it to the camera.

I shouldn't be defending Memory Stick and xD. If everyone voted with their feet we could have some standardization.

Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:19 PM   #10

@ slipe:
I agree with you. With your camera you usually outgrow also your memory cards and you sell them on Ebay. On the other hand it is nice that you don't have to buy new memory cards immediately if you buy a new camera. In the end, from my 4 cameras 3 are still using CF cards and my only pocket camera uses SD cards. Thus 95% of all my pictures are still made with CF cards.