Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:01 AM   #11

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
kassandro-

Your post confuses me. I certainly do NOT think that the Canon 350/XT has the best imager. I like the Nikon D-50 imager and the Pentax DS/DL/DS2 imagers that are operationallybetter than the Canon 350D/XT imager, and you know that I own the Canon 350D/XT, as well as a lot of the other dSLR cameras so I am not just whistling in the dark, on this issue.
I am not such an expert as you, MT. In particular, I know Canon DSLRs only from a few full size shots. Based on this observations I was quite impressed by their image quality. I also may have confused the EOS 20D with the EOS 350D, because I always thought that both cameras essentially differ only when it comes to ergonomy. On the other hand, because the E500 has a somewhat smaller sensor than the Rebel XT, the Oly should be somewhat less DSLR like than the Canon camera. After all it's primiarily theirlarge sensor, which distinguishes DSLRs from P&S cameras.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:50 AM   #12

I ended up ordering the Olympus E-500 with the 2 lenses from B&H Photo. Can't really beat it for $699. I couldn't really see the difference in any of the sample photos between that and the Canon Rebel XT. At least this gives me a lot of time to learn how to use it.

Larry Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:22 AM   #13

Larry Fine wrote:
Quote:
I ended up ordering the Olympus E-500 with the 2 lenses from B&H Photo. Can't really beat it for $699. I couldn't really see the difference in any of the sample photos between that and the Canon Rebel XT. At least this gives me a lot of time to learn how to use it.
I think you'll be pleased. All of those cameras are capable of producing better pictures than most of us are able to finesse out of them.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:08 AM   #14

Yes,good choice.......the best deal at such a low price. The Olympus kit lenses are far better then the kit lens that comes with the Canon Xt.......

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Anyway i never buy a DSLR with its kit lens.....prefer spending the differenceand adding a little extra for a good quality lens.....these good quality lenses are not all extremely expensive.Just got a Nikkor 50mm 1.8D for 100 euro.

Good luck with your E-500
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote