Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:40 AM   #1

Is there a Compact/Ultra/Pocketable camera available which can match/Better A610 point to point in features and price?

I want to print normal photos, take family photos, and photo of places I tour.
Still I am getting interested in photography, after reading the reviews etc.. now. So some manual controls too is preffered - So i can start with.

I am planning to buy tomorrow!
Please help.

Thanks,
Vinod

vinodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:06 AM   #2

I think this is one of the best you can get (compared to it's size)...the Powershot A620 has to be quite similiar to the G6 which is/was a very very good cam. I think you can't go wrong with that cam, especially not in terms of image quality.
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:21 AM   #3

J&R has the Casio Z120 for $220. It is truly pocketable and has full manual everything. It has an excellent control setup for using those manual features. It has the same sensor as the A620, which I think is a better sensor than the one in the A610.

The Z120 is only 3X where the A610 is 4X. The Z120 lens is excellent. The A610 lens might be a tad better and has a wider aperture at zoom, but you will get higher resolution with the Z120 with the 2 extra Mp.

The Z120 has an optical viewfinder but it is small. I have the same viewfinder on my Z750 and do fine with it. If you wear eyeglasses for distant vision it might not work very well though. It has no diopter correction and you have to get your eye pretty close. The optical finder on the A610 is better.

I prefer the articulated LCD on the A610.

The Casio internal memory is a lot more useful than the throw-away card that comes with the A610. You can store a good sized permanent photo album on it. A feature I really like is that you can store custom user modes and display a photo with it so you remember what it is for. The internal memory and card format separately so you don't lose everything in the permanent memory with a card format.

Another Casio feature I find handy is that you can determine each feature that will either revert back to default or stay the same when you cycle the camera off and back on. You can customize the left and right buttons. It goes a full 60 seconds for shutter speed.

On the downside the LCD isn't very high resolution. Manual mode doesn't meter until you half depress the shutter. There are only two apertures available in aperture priority and manual.

I would personally take the Z120 over the A610 simply because of the size. I like a camera I can always have with me and the A610 is a little large for that. I also have a wide format printer and 5Mp isn't enough for a large print.

Understand I'm not saying the Z120 is a better camera. It just fits in a different nitch for size.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:53 AM   #4

I believe Slipe raises an excellent point concerning camera size. I am a johnny come lately to the small camera scene, having used ulta zooms and dSLR's for years. I just got my Z-120 in the last month and I will tell you that size does indeed make a difference.

A small camera is much easier to slip into a handy pocket or your purse and it weighs next to nothing. In doing that, you always have your camera with you and ready for a photo. All to often there were times when I would think twice about packing up the camera bag and taking a larger camera with me.

Just a thought.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:19 AM   #5

slipe wrote:
Quote:
It has the same sensor as the A620, which I think is a better sensor than the one in the A610.

I thought the sensor in the A610 and A620 were the same?A number of comments have been made thatnoise is evident in some A620 shots due to it having an extra 2Mp but uses that same sensor.
ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:27 PM   #6

It's a different sensor. I tried both and found in the short time that I tried them that the A620 had less noise, on these examples at least. I went for the A620 in the end as it gives a bit more leeway for cropping macro shots.

It's very difficult to say which is the best compact as they all have different features, some of which will make a particular camera better to some people rather than others. The A610/620 are the best for me because they have a colloction of features that I want along with great performance, but it won't be the same for everyone.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 2:34 PM   #7

I'm looking at the canon s80. I have been told that it is the camera to get . 8mg ,wide angle

good size. It costs more but don't plan on getting another soon. Has anyone used one?

Thanks

Jim
jim welle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 3:57 PM   #8

Jim-

I tried the Canon S-80 because I owned a Canon S-50 and I was disappointed with it. I feltthe S-80 had a lot more noise and I was disappointed that it had no raw image.

In the end, I purchased the Casio Z-120, saved a lot of money and got a great camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:40 PM   #9

tHANK YOU AND I WELL TAKE A LOOK AT THE Z120.

jIM
jim welle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:19 PM   #10

ron519098 wrote:
Quote:
I thought the sensor in the A610 and A620 were the same?A number of comments have been made thatnoise is evident in some A620 shots due to it having an extra 2Mp but uses that same sensor.
They are both 1/1.8 sensors and I think they are both made by Sony. But the 7Mp represents an extra couple of years of development.

As pixel density goes up noise usually increases. But those two sensors are proof that technology can affect that to some degree. The 7Mp sensor is generally regarded as the better sensor.

Some people just compare sensor densities and think they can judge the noise. You have to be careful of theoretical rather than empirical opinions on that sort of thing.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote