Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:01 PM   #1

How do the alternatives to D50 such as models by pentax and konica minolta 5d compare the the nikon?

Have anybody used D50 and those for comparison?

Right now I am looking to buy a digital SLR and D50 seems like a good bet, however I would like to explore the alternatives. Any feedback at all about that?
zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:52 PM   #2

zenit-

Because I am an instructor for my local Community College and our state university, and because we conduct a course called, "Getting the Most from Your New DSLR Camera" I do indeed own, and usethese cameras I have some hands on extensive experience with the Canon 350D/XT, the Canon 20D, the Nikon D-50, the Nikon D-70,the KM 5D, and the Pentax DS/DL/DS2 cameras.

A rather large factor that plays into which camera you will choose has to do with the kind of photos that you like to take for example if you really take a lot of low light level photos, the the much higher maximum ISO setting of 3200 that is oly found on theKM 5D and the Pentax DS/DL/DS2 will become an important factor.

All of the, so called, "consumer" dSLR camera on the market do an excellent job, and will provide you with a great camera. The real issue is joining you up with a dSLR that is best adapted to your interests and your style of shooting and experience.

So please share with us what camera you are currently using, something about your experience, the kind of photos that you really want to take now or even in the future. That will allow us to make better recommendations to you.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:57 PM   #3

Do you have any old lenses from former 35 mm days? I had a collection of 20-25 year old Pentax lenses from my MEdays, so I bought a Pentax *ist DS. All my old manual lenses work and that saved me quite a bit of money. I've been completely happy with the results, and the camera was easy to figure out. I love the (comparatively) small size and weight of the Pentax - I don't hesitate taking it hiking with me, if I decide I need a new lens, there are lots of olderused ones out there that are reasonably priced.

If I were starting out from scratch, I probably would have had a hard time saying no to the Canon Rebel XT, even though it is quite a bit more money. As it was, I'm completely happy and saved quite a bit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:24 PM   #4
rey

Another thing you need to consider is lens choices. That depends on how serious you are with dSLR. This is why most Pros go with Canon and Nikon. I checked out almost all entry level dSLR and was down to Olympus' E-500, Nikon's D50 and Canon's XT/350D.

In the end, I ruled out the E-500 for it's 2.x crop factor. I take mostly landscape shots that needs wide angle lens. While doing research on lenses, I found out that 3rd party lens makers tend to make Canon and Nikon lens mount a priority. The Tokina 12-24mm I'm eyeing for is only available on Canon and Nikon lens mount, so far.

The cost issue, and body size of XT was the reason I didn't go for that camera. In the end I bought the D50. I got the body with kit lens and the 70-300mm lens and a Nikon bag for $680 plus $20 shipping. I haven't gotten it yet, they're in the UPS system.

All entry-level dSLR cameras are good, and can produce great images. If you are new to SLRs, I would think your skills are what would limit their capability, I know that's certainly the case for me.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:58 PM   #5

The three best entry level cameras are the Rebel XT from canon, the D50 from nikon, and the 5D from Konica Minlota. You can't go wrong with any of these cameras.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:15 PM   #6

Please Posters-

Take a look at the original OP or opening post. Zenit is looking for photo examples of viable alternatives to the Nikon D-50.

I will offer my example. It is a no flash/existing light only photo taken with the Canon D-20. That would have been a difficult photo for the D-50 to take. Notice the reflection on the stage floor.

MT

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:47 PM   #7

Here are a couple of photos I took with the Pentax and a 20 year old manual lens (a Kiron 80-200 macro lens). They are both photos that I took on my lunch break - I'm no expert and have only had the camera for less than 2 months. A pro could do much better than I can with the same equipment.

My amature status really stands out with this one - it isn't straight. But it does give you an idea of what someone with little experience and old lenses can do.

I haven't played with the camera inside much so don't have any examples taken in low light.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:20 AM   #8

Mtngal-

Thanks for adding your samples. I'll add another. this photo was taken with a Pentax DS equipped with a Sigma 28-300mm lens. I was using it when travelling for several months at a time. I wanted to keep down the weight of my kit and to avoid multiple lens changes. This was taken at the Shanghai Acrobatic Show from my seat. I took it without flash and I was over 90 feet away from the performers. It is a good example of what an inexpensive dSLR and and inexpensive lens can do.

MT

Old Mar 13, 2006, 3:51 AM   #9

Well i bought a Nikon D50 body with a Nikkor 50mm 1.8D lens,this cost me just under 600 euro.I prefered to pay for a standard very fast lens instead of the kit lens which is a zoom lens but certainly not as good.Lenses are things you`ll keep for a long time,might as well try to buy very good ones,they do contribute a lot to image quality.

Go have a look at my album "Taken with Nikon D50 & 50mm 1.8D :

http://www.pixagogo.com/7079195185

Look at the pics in there original size and tell me if you think you could find better for the same price ? They are pretty impressive.

The Nikon D50 is 200 euro cheaper then the Canon XT 350 and if you don`t intend to print bigger then A4 size ,you won`t see any difference between these 2 cameras.My biggest complaint about the Canon is the same that most people have:the ergonomic.....the camera is too small and it`s difficult to have your hand and figgers comfortably on the grip and shutter speed button.the way to solve this problem would be to buy the battery pack grip but it will cost you an extra 150 euro.

The best thing would be that you try to have all 3 cameras in hand and just feel which is best and natural in your hand.Ergonomics is sooooo important
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:58 PM   #10

Homer J. wrote:
Quote:
The three best entry level cameras are the Rebel XT from canon, the D50 from nikon, and the 5D from Konica Minlota. You can't go wrong with any of these cameras.

Will old lenses from a Minolta 35MM film camera work with the 5d?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote