Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:06 PM   #1

How durable are nikon SLR's.¬* If they get hit, not too hard will it cause any damage?
Straylightrun00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:19 PM   #2

Stray-

My Nikon D-70 has been very durable indeed. I am told that the D-50 is a more delicate camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:27 PM   #3

Have you ever dropped it?¬* By accident of¬* couseThanks for the quick feedback
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:32 PM   #4

Yes, I have dropped my Nikon D-70 with no ill effects. but it was on to a soft well padded suface.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:23 PM   #5

Hmm, you think a Nikon dslr could withstand a few drops?¬* or just like swinging hits from the neck strap?
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:43 PM   #6
rey

All entry level dSLR are made of polycarbonate plastic, it's the same plastic used to make windows for airplanes (and those bright colored water bottles). So you can trust them with your life. :-) They have metal frame inside as well.

If you want a magnesium alloy body, you'll have to go with Canon 20D or higher. I've dropped my P&S before, as well as cellphone and sunglasses, so I've developed a good reflex of catching the initial fall with my foot. It hurts like a b$#%h, but pain goes away. And if you have a good lens with your camera, pray that the body breaks and not the lens.:G

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:03 PM   #7

Many of ushave dropped camera stories, and permit me to quickly share mine, even though it is not about a dSLR.

I accidentally knocked my Olympus C-8080 from the tailgate of an SUV truck. The camera fell straight down, and hit hard on the asphalt parking lot. When I picked it up, notonly did it continue to work perfectly, but it did not even show a single scratch where it hit the pavement!!!That camerais joy to use, and I can personally attest that it is built like a tank.:-)

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:19 PM   #8

pretty dumb question on my part but the magnesium alloy body would be a lot stronger than the plastic right
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:33 AM   #9

My smaller P&S digicams are mainly plastic bodies, and they do not appear to be nearly as rugged as my C-8080 which hasa magnesium alloy body. My SLRs are all metal, but I'm not sure what alloy. I don't have anything against the new plastic bodies, its just that the better models which I use the most are all metal bodies, and I have no problems with durability.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:44 AM   #10
E.T

Straylightrun00 wrote:
Quote:
How durable are nikon SLR's.¬* If they get hit, not too hard will it cause any damage?
Quote:
or just like swinging hits from the neck strap?
Now that depends much where that hit comes, buttons, displays and such won't like hits while other parts could handle much worser hits.

rey wrote:
Quote:
so I've developed a good reflex of catching the initial fall with my foot.¬* It hurts like a b$#%h, but pain goes away.
Yeah, broken toes hurt much only little over day, after couple months you can even start moving them little and around fourth month you can start "exercising" those to get back full movability.
But it might be better not to continue playing volleyball when those get broken and I wouldn't recommend extra walking and driving 500km on next day.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote