Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default



I'm not sure what the major difference is between categories: Semi-Professional Digicam and Superzoom. Can someone help me figure out which is better? I think I'm pretty much set on the Panasonice FZ30 which come under the Superzoom Category.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:02 PM   #2
E.T
Senior Member
 
E.T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 921
Default

What you mean with these "semi-professional digicams"?

And what would you photograph? Is it general photography, nature, lanscapes, architecture, indoors or wild animals/birds?
Also is it low light and lot of moving targets?


But one thing I can say sure, super/ultrazooms doesn't give good wide angle...
(also controls of those are lacking badly to be really efficient)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

E.T wrote:
Quote:
What you mean with these "semi-professional digicams"?

And what would you photograph? Is it general photography, nature, lanscapes, architecture, indoors or wild animals/birds?
Also is it low light and lot of moving targets?


But one thing I can say sure, super/ultrazooms doesn't give good wide angle...
(also controls of those are lacking badly to be really efficient)
I don't mean anything... that's just it... I don't know what the difference is. I noticed the distinction on this websites link under best cameras. Z3http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

As for what my interest are in photography; I plan on getting back into the hobby after many years of abandoning SLR 35MM film photography. I was planning on purchasing a Panasonic FZ30 which seems to offer the best options in a super zoom. I don't want to invest in a digital SLR until I am sure that I will get back into photography full throttle. The FZ30 seems to offer lots of bang for the buck but I just noticed the term "semi-professional digicams" under the web link above and didn't quite understand the difference.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 3:08 AM   #4
E.T
Senior Member
 
E.T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 921
Default

Yeah, I'm in same situation because looks like it might take couple years before "D"SLRs are fully in digital age, now they're still dragging along limitations of 70+something old design made for entirely other "sensor format".


Looks really like Steve doesn't mean anything with that, there's just no way how S80 could be crammed to that group.
Also features of others vary quite much, for example only couple of those have image stabilization...
and personally I wouldn't count most of those as good manual controls cameras.
But at least unwide angle ultrazooms aren't crammed to same group like usually.


meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I was planning on purchasing a Panasonic FZ30 which seems to offer the best options in a super zoom.
Zoom number is like megapixels, it doesn't tell is camera good to something. (but it looks good in adds if there isn't other things to advertise)

Personally I would prefer Fuji S9000 (9500 in Europe) as camera with long tele because it has 28mm wide angle and difference between 300 and 420mm isn't much unless wild animals/birds are main targets.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
E.T wrote:
As for what my interest are in photography; I plan on getting back into the hobby after many years of abandoning SLR 35MM film photography. I was planning on purchasing a Panasonic FZ30 which seems to offer the best options in a super zoom. I don't want to invest in a digital SLR until I am sure that I will get back into photography full throttle. The FZ30 seems to offer lots of bang for the buck but I just noticed the term "semi-professional digicams" under the web link above and didn't quite understand the difference.
Unfortunately, the question is still out there. What precisely do you want to photograph? As you read the reviews of the various cameras, you'll see they all have areas they excel at and areas they are weak at. It seems like you want a lot of reach out of the camera, but to shoot what? As an example I was looking at superzooms for a friend who has a daughter in swimming. It appeared as though the Panasonics were good, but suffered from very high noise at ISO 400 and higher. Some other cameras with less zoom handled noise better. And, of course, there's the question of how wide a lens goes - is 38mm wide enough or do you need wider? Unfortunately there is no perfect digicam. Many are great for all-purpose shooting, but most still fall short of some of the truly demanding photo situations like indoor, low light action. Still others, like the Canon S2-IS also boast a very good movie mode which is attractive to many. So, back to the question - what do you want to shoot?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

E.T wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I'm in same situation because looks like it might take couple years before "D"SLRs are fully in digital age, now they're still dragging along limitations of 70+something old design made for entirely other "sensor format".

I fully agree with your logic in not investing in DSLR at this time. Even whenthey venturefully into the digital age; the way this technology keeps changing it pays to wait. Of course if money is no object and or needs dictate a DSLR; then I can understand taking the plunge. I'm just not ready to do that yet.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

E.T wrote:
Quote:
Personally I would prefer Fuji S9000 (9500 in Europe) as camera with long tele because it has 28mm wide angle and difference between 300 and 420mm isn't much unless wild animals/birds are main targets.
I'll take a look at the Fuji, but I think I'm pretty set on the FZ30.


meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the question is still out there. What precisely do you want to photograph? As you read the reviews of the various cameras, you'll see they all have areas they excel at and areas they are weak at. It seems like you want a lot of reach out of the camera, but to shoot what? As an example I was looking at superzooms for a friend who has a daughter in swimming. It appeared as though the Panasonics were good, but suffered from very high noise at ISO 400 and higher. Some other cameras with less zoom handled noise better. And, of course, there's the question of how wide a lens goes - is 38mm wide enough or do you need wider? Unfortunately there is no perfect digicam. Many are great for all-purpose shooting, but most still fall short of some of the truly demanding photo situations like indoor, low light action. Still others, like the Canon S2-IS also boast a very good movie mode which is attractive to many. So, back to the question - what do you want to shoot?
Unfortunately, I can't answer that because I don't have anything specific I want to shoot. I will definitely use it to photograph the different types of activities that my daughter will get involved in like dance, gymnastics etc.. Other than that I don't know and won't know until I start using it. I will be getting back into photography after a long hiatus and I want a good general purpose camera without going DSLR. I realize there is a compromise with anything I choose, but I think the FZ30 will do the trick. I don't have much need for the movie mode, because I have a camcorder for that. For those times I want capture a small video and the camcorder is not handy, the FZ30 can fill in for that. Initially I was gibing to just get a high end pocket camera, but after looking at those, I decided I didn't like the size and some of the problems inherent to the model I was going to purchase. The FZ30 is only about a hundred bucks more and I am pretty set on it. My original question was just to sort out what was difference between the categories of Semi-pro digicams vs. Superzoom. Since that has been answered, I think I am in good shape.


meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:23 PM.