Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:04 PM   #1

Both cameras are 6 megapixel, with a 6x optical zoom. Panasonic has their MEGA Optical Image Stabilization, but Canon's A series seems to have fared better than the Panasonics. I like the 6x zoom capabilities in both cameras without the bulky bodies larger zoom cameras have. Any comments?
Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:11 PM   #2

Chou-

It is indeed quite difficult to make any comments because neither camera has reached the market place and are not available for sale to consumer buyers yet. In addition, no professional reviews have been completed on these two cameras.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:04 PM   #3

One has been reviewed on at least two professional review sites. Both sites gave it good reviews but had a caution about noise levels. Here is Steve's-Panasonic LZ5

Here is the other-
Panasonic DMC-LZ5 review at PhotographyBLOG

I am leaning toward the Panasonic because of the optical image stabilization, but am awaiting the reviews on the Cannon before making a decision. I like the fact that both can take AA batteries, as proprietary batteries are expensive, could become difficult to obtain over time and inconvenient.

The Cannon has not yet been reviewed.

bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the review pages. Any hints as to when these two will hit the market, and at what price?
Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:26 PM   #5

Your welcome.

Just scroll down the review page and some of the internet sites that sell the Panasonic are listed. It appears to be selling in the mid to high $200 range. Not bad for all it can do. It also takes movies with optical stabilization (a must with movies) at 640 X480 30 fps.

No idea on the price of the Cannon. If I find out, I will post.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:39 PM   #6

bjohn-

Many thanks for the links. That is very helpful. Unfortunately, the LZ-5 does not utilize a Leica branded lens and it does show some softness at the edges.

MT
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:29 PM   #7

Your welcome, MT.Good point about the lens on the Panasonic, although both reviews stress that most consumers will not notice the problem with small prints.* So I guess it depends on what you plan on using the camera for- or if you do not mind doing some sharpening with an editor.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:33 PM   #8

In all honesty, when you are going to do a 8" X 10" print that edge unsharpness is REALLY going to show, even with post processing. Sorry but those are the facts.

MT
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:47 AM   #9

At this point, I am going to wait to see the peformance and professional reviews on the Canon A-700. The Panasonic LZ-5 has too few (WB only) manual controls, too much noise (even at ISO 80), and the images are too soft at the edges, with corner darkening.

It won't bother me to wait.

MT
Old Mar 13, 2006, 5:14 PM   #10

Here is another favorable review on the Panasonic-

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5

Good point on the Panasonic, MT. But if one only plans on printing 5 X 7s, as I do, then the Panasonic appears to be a good choice. All the review sites agree that it does a fine job in terms of color, sharpness etc, and the noise problem and corner softness problem only comes into play on bigger prints. Regardless of how the reviews come out for the Cannon, it does not have image stabilization- and that is a must for me, as I plan on using the camera for movies. Also- with a 6X optical zoom, hand shakiness may come into play on still photos- and I GUARANTEE you that blurriness from shaking will show up on a 5X7 as well. So that optical stabilization feature is important.

So again, for what I want to use the camera for, this looks like a fine choice. But I will wait to see what the reviews say about the Cannon.