Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:49 AM   #11

Hi there, my first ultra zoom camera was Olympus-C750. Ihave beenvery much happy for the past 2 years. I wanted to purchase one more ultra zoom, I selected DSC-H1 mainly because of relatively low noise at iso-400 (during April-May 2005). But, I retained C750 and my wife uses it now. I am very much satisfied with H1 for its speed. I take photos where ever I go.I came to a situation of a stage show of a dancer. Flash was not allowed. I understood the need of fast lenses and good higher ISO performance. Right now, whatever is the P&S camera in the market, no comparison to any DSLR in this area. I purchased 350D mainly because of this reason. The second point is a walk around lens. I went for Sigma 18-200, that's it. I have an all time using camera in my bag taking care of all my photographic needs. I have to still purchase a good fast lens for indoor shots. I have used FZ30. Photos at 400-ISO are not good. Using "Neat Image" software for removing noise, spoiling the entire pic. Fuji seems to be good, but not relatively to any DSLR. Have look at these photos taken with 350D and Sigma 18-200

Pic1: ISO-400

Pic2: At full telephoto end

Adiseshanaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:33 AM   #12

Adiseshanaik wrote:
Quote:
Hi there, my first ultra zoom camera was Olympus-C750. Ihave beenvery much happy for the past 2 years. I wanted to purchase one more ultra zoom, I selected DSC-H1 mainly because of relatively low noise at iso-400 (during April-May 2005). But, I retained C750 and my wife uses it now. I am very much satisfied with H1 for its speed. I take photos where ever I go.I came to a situation of a stage show of a dancer. Flash was not allowed. I understood the need of fast lenses and good higher ISO performance. Right now, whatever is the P&S camera in the market, no comparison to any DSLR in this area. I purchased 350D mainly because of this reason. The second point is a walk around lens. I went for Sigma 18-200, that's it. I have an all time using camera in my bag taking care of all my photographic needs. I have to still purchase a good fast lens for indoor shots. I have used FZ30. Photos at 400-ISO are not good. Using "Neat Image" software for removing noise, spoiling the entire pic. Fuji seems to be good, but not relatively to any DSLR. Have look at these photos taken with 350D and Sigma 18-200

Pic1: ISO-400
Hi Adiseshanaik,

thank you very much for your input. If I understand correctly, you have used several superzoom cameras and seem to be quite happy with them, and you also are using a DSLR. I can understand that the best quality will come from a DSLR rather than a P&S superzoom. But as someone who has extensive experience with both camera types, can you tell me, really, what will I be missing if I choose a good superzoom like the Fuji 9500 instead of a DSLR?

I mean, you sound like you still are very happy with your P&S super zooms (ok, maybe not the Z30 because of noise). What do you find that the 350D offers you that you cannot get with the non-DSLR's?

Thanks!

Steve, Denmark
sti_sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:53 AM   #13

Hi, Steve.

I was in your position not long ago, trying to choose between a DSLR and a "prosumer" super-zoom camera. Also the main candidates were D50 and S9500 and my budget was limited. My main interests are portrait, macro and candid photography and I am no pro, just a self-taught amature that used to have an SLR camera. When I bought S5500a year ago, I was hooked by a versatility of the superzoom lens, and when I decided to upgrade I was looking for a similar option.

For my needs the choice was to go forthe top-end consumer super-zoom (S9500 or Pana FZ30) or a budget DSLR + 18-200mm + 50 or 60 mm macro lens + (possibly) 50 mm standardlens. I didn't like the feel of FZ30 in my hands, so it left only S9500 in the"prosumer" category (the Sony's R1 is far too expensive).

At the end I bought S9500 (all-in-one package, no further investments), because the price of D50 + Sigma or Nikon 18-200 + 50mm standard lens was almost x2 of the Fuji's price and about x2 Fuji's weight (more chances for it to stay at home + way above my budget). In 2-3 years time I'll buy a DSL, something like new Olympus or Panasonic DSLR.

For now I am happy with Fuji, in decent light you can get very good quality pics that you can print without problems at A4 or even 30x45 cm size.

If you can afford it, go for Nikon, if not, you will be happy with Fuji and save a lot of money for your nextDSLR camera when and if you will be ready for it.

Here are some examples of what can be done with S9500:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...old9/test1.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/DSCF0065.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/InuYasha.jpg

These were shot with a 4MP S5500:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d125/algold9/Dany.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...d9/rooster.jpg

Hope it will help you a little to choose and to decide:-)

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:33 AM   #14

I was just down at some shops and had several cameras in my hands: the Fuji 9500, the Nikon D50, and the Canon PS2 IS. There was no Sony H1, unfortunately.

The decision is indeed tough. I am inclined to go for the DSLR Nikon for the reason that I just so much more like framing my picture by looking through the actual lens. The other two cameras were my first experience with an EVF, and I was not very impressed. For portability, the Canon interests me. For feel + quality + economicsI think I would go for the Fuji. I have little doubt that I would be happy with the pictures from this camera. But I have a feeling I would be most happy in the long run with the DSLR, if for no other reason than the through-the-lens viewfinder.

If I go for the Nikon, though, I will have to suffice with the kit lens (the current sales price makes it not worth while to buy body only) until I can afford a longer zoom range from Tamron or Sigma.

I have a few days to make the final decision .....

Thanks all!

Steve, Denmark
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:13 AM   #15

Hi Steve,

Good choice, go for Nikon with a kit lens. You can buy additional lenses later. Just don't forget the biggest and the fastest memory card you can afford and it would be nice to have a spare battery as well.

Good luck with whatever you'll choose.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:08 AM   #16

I think your choice will come down to this:

If you will shoot a lot of shots where low light is a problem AND you do NOT want to use a flash - then a DSLR is the way to go.

If you will only shoot a few shots where lighting is a problem and a lot of your shots are outdoors - then a high quality PS such as the panny will give you the quality shots you are looking for without the price and complexity of carying several lenses.

I currently have the panny FZ15 - it shoots better than me for my outdoor shots - and also gives excellent outdoor macro shots. A good macro lens for a DSLR will cost you $$. But I do not like it for winter indoor sports shots. For me - I will keep and continue to use the FZ15 for its convienence and quality shots for my summer outdoors shots where I don't want to lug several lenses with me. But I will also be buying the D50 for my winter shoots. Eventually when I get the money for all the lenses I want (2-3 years) - I will then retire the FZ15 another notch.
sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:19 PM   #17

"...I mean, you sound like you still are very happy with your P&S super zooms (ok, maybe not the Z30 because of noise). What do you find that the 350D offers you that you cannot get with the non-DSLR's?"

Hi there, when I shifted from film to digital, I wanted a good UZ camera with manual controls. That time DSLRs were very costly. Whatever photos I have taken with C750 no doubt those have come out well. But the problem with C750 was it slow start time, 8-10 seconds shot to shot delay, shutter lag, high purple fringing, noisy images at ISO-400 and delay in zoom positioning. I didn't want to miss anything and there were certain situation where I missed a lot because of these flaws in C750. I started my adventure for next UZ camera where these flaws are taken care. I found H1 better in fast start up time, very minimum shot to shot delay, good iso-400 performance, faster focussing. But, again I got struck in situation as I have already pointed out, indoor photography without flash. For events like indoor volleyball, a dance event where flash has got nothing to do. After using H1 nearly 6 months, I decided to go for a DSLR. I made lot of survey to buy the best entry level DSLR and lens for my budget. Now, I can say, other than investing some money for one or two lenses, I am totally satisfied with 350D. One more major difference between a P&S and DSLR is the total control over shallow Depth of Field which is very very important for professional grade photos and is available only in DSLR (with few exceptions). Now I carry H1, 350D, Sigma 18-200 lens, Sigma DG ST flash, spare batteries, spare memory cards. I sometimes use my H1 during daylight situation for landscape, sports, during travelling in a train or bus. If I am attending a seminar, functions, indoor sports, and live concerts I only carry 350D. It mainly depends on "YOU" who has to decide what type of photography you are going to do. There are advantages and disadvantages for both types of cameras. You will have versatility of changing the lenses to suit the situation and at the same time you have to be alert about the dust which may enter into the sensor area. Finally, these comparisons never stop, get a DSLR now and you will never repent on that.
Adiseshanaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:51 PM   #18

sti_sti wrote:
Quote:
I mean, you sound like you still are very happy with your P&S super zooms (ok, maybe not the Z30 because of noise). What do you find that the 350D offers you that you cannot get with the non-DSLR's?
One of the reasons I went with a dSLR over a fixed lens camera is that the current group of superzooms don't have as good dynamic range as the dSLRs because they fit so many pixels in a small lens. The dSLRs all have larger sensors, so they can pick up features in a broader range of light/dark. That was my biggest complaint with the FZ30 - it didn't capture as much detail as my 5 MP, 3 year old Sony F717. It didn't seem like the Fuji had any better dynamic range, so I decided that it was time for the dSLR.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:34 PM   #19

Hi everybody

I have been folowing this thread with interest as i am in a similar situation when i think i have made a decision i read another posting somewhere and i am back to square one again.

however the final three that i thought i would choose from were the S9500 FZ30 and Olympus E500, i had'nt considered Nikon. I was disappointed with the evf on the 9500 as i have a fuji ps and i liked the brand, I am going to see the FZ30 and E500 at weekend, would the Nikon D50 be better than the E500. i thought the anti-dust system was a good feature

PS I reallyappreciate all your experts opinions( self taught or not ) I just thinkwe are spoiled or confused by the amount of choice we have, its a lot easier buying a car !!
artiemagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:32 AM   #20

I want to also thank everyone who gave their great opinions! Its a lot of help!

I think the perfect solution for me is the DSLR plus a smaller, more portable super zoom, but unfortunately I am not that rich ;-)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am deciding to go for the Nikon D50, and if I was to mention one major reason for this decision, it would be simply that I find it much nicer and better to frame a shot using a TTL viewfinder rather than EVF. Of course the DSLR has many other advantages, but I would think that this alone is a significant deciding factor.

Thanks again everyone!

Steve, Denmark