Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1

I can't afford an all-out splurge for DSLR so am wondering what's the best way to be cheap, or the cheapest way to get something good-- some effective middle-ground. I don't need a really high pixel count. Mainly I'd like best ISO and fastest long lens I can afford. So, used or older models would be OK. I thought possibly an early Rebel, but what lenses fit these-- is there only one lens type for Canon DSLRs or are there different series? Where's a good place to find good used lenses? Any ideas?
ChrisBrewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:47 AM   #2

While I personally prefer Canon, you might look into the inexpensive but good Pentax *ist-DL series at prices around US$500 from reputable sources such as B%H, etc. If you can wait a couple of months, the *ist-DL2 should be easily available for around $600 or less. Good beginner dSLR cameras with a ready stock of quality lenses availble. Read further aboutthe DL2here http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06012701pentaxdl2.aspor Steve's review of the DL here http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/istdl.html

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:31 PM   #3

The best buys in consumer dSLR cameras seem to be the Pentax DL2 with kit lens, and the Olympus E-500 2 lens kit.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 6:59 PM   #4

The Pentax *ist DL also has the advantage of using just about any Pentax lens ever made. If you have access to camera swap meets or pawn shops you might be able to pick up some old,nicePentax lenses for quite a bit less than new lenses would cost you. I bought a *ist DS recently (same sensor) and love it! It's also given me an appreciation of the manual 50 mm f1.7lens that came with my Pentax ME camera back in 1980.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:05 PM   #5

mtngal-

Is very correct. Older lenses that fit the Pentax DS/DL/DL2/DS2 are easy to find on E-Bay and very inexpensive.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote