Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:55 PM   #11

For under $400 - your best pick would be a Panasonic Lumix FZ7, if you don't mind that it is only a 6MP camera.

It includes Mega O.I.S and the new High Sensitivity Mode, which allows much faster shutter speeds for moving objects. The 2.5 Inch LCD really helps too.

I liked my Powershot S2 IS, but due to the fact that at extended zooms, the IS on the S2 is not as effective at correcting jitter than the Panasonic, so I am going to buy an FZ7 as soon as I have the money.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 5:02 PM   #12

Sailboater

I cannot help with your Panasonic FZ-30 search. I bought a FZ-30 and returned it due to visible noise in almost every photo. And yes, I am a professional as well a Digital Camera & DSLR Instructor for two major university systems. I have also written 3 books on digital based cameras. I hate to admit it, but photography has been my career for 50+ years.

The FZ-30 is a very physically large camera, larger in fact than some consumer dSLR camera. Please be sure that you handle the FZ-30. Some folks do not like the size of the camera. If you are just going to be doing outdoor photos with all shots at the lowest ISO setting and not enlarging into large prints, you might be able to get away with it. But as soon as you raise the ISO, go to flash photos, or existing light photos, you will see the noise.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:01 PM   #13

.mtclimber

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So in your opinion, the CANON POWERSHOT S2 IS would be the best over all for the price / quality?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I appreciate you assessment in this search, it is very helpful for those of us who do not have the experience in this area to hear from you all who do.

Thus far I have found that camera for $345. total price on ebay (seller with 100% feedback)and 339.90 total from mpsuperstore.com. I would appreciate info if you have other info.
SheilaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:31 PM   #14

The Panasonic FZ7S is only $340 at Circuitcity now also!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/howTo...amp;oid=145399
Carmmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:50 PM   #15

Shelia-

Your camera choice has a lot to do with the kind of photos that you take. If you want video clips, the Canon S-2 Is is aexcellent choice. If you do a lot of lowlight level/noflash shot, the Panasonic FZ-7 , the Fuji S-5200, or the S-9000are good choices. If camera size is a factor, the Pansonic TZ-1 is a good choice. If you want a fold out LCD, the Canon S-2 is anexcellent choice. If you want IS you should take a look at the Canon S-2, the Sony H-1/2/5, the Panasonic FZ-5/7/20 as good choices. If you want high maximum ISOsettings then take a look at the Fuji S5200 or S-9000.

As you can see there are lots of options, and I have not mentioned then all. Tell us more aboutyour budget and what kind of photos you plan on taking, then we can be much more specific and helpful in our suggestions.

MT
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:09 PM   #16

Will be taking a lot of horse photos and other nature shots. Also closer shots of flowers... thinking of doing some framed scenery with Scripture on it and possibly post cards. I love look at the sky so I am sure I will be taking photos of sunrises and sunsets. We will naturally be taking family shots.

Some of the shots will be for our website (horses).

I would naturally like the best over all deal. I wouldprefer to be in the $300. range.

Thank you.

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:56 PM   #17

Shelia

Considering that you will not be doing many photos with very low shutter speeds, IMHO you can easily meet your need with a camera like the Fuji S-5200, and save some money.

Go to a good camera store handle the cameras, check out the EVF's (electronic view finders) see how they seem to you and then make a decision, based on how the cameras feel to you.. IMHO I really do not see that you really need IS.

MT

Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:13 AM   #18

Boy, am I learning a lot! Now I might rethink everything, especially since the LZ30 is so much more expensive than the others. Maybe the LZ20 would do, but it goes against my grain to buy less than current in today's digital always changing market.

Help me here. What I really want is:
1. The 12x zoom for my nature pics
2. To get a quality 13-19 print (I have seen pictures here and for my eye, can't see all this noise. Seemed to be taken care of in cleanup software.)
3. Practically instant turn on of the camera and press the shutter so I don't miss shots. I hate the hesitation of some cameras, the Nikon Cool Pix is an example.

Thanks for your time and advice.
sailboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:24 AM   #19

Yes, I want 'fast' as far as the picture taking is concerned too. I don't want to miss the shots because when I press the button there is wait time for the camera to get the image. Seems like my digital binoculars take a second to beep after I have pressed the button. Needless to say the horse is TOTALLY different ... or the other action is over.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:16 AM   #20

food for thought:

Ansel Adam's equipment:

light proof box

fixed focal length lens

sheet of film

tripod

PHOTOGRAPHERS TAKE PICTURES, NOT CAMERAS
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote