Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2006, 6:39 PM   #1

I was hoping some folks that have used these can give me some insight. I was set on the new Casio Z850 but after playing with the 750 at a shop today my wife was not excited about how small it was and I was less than impressed as well. What we did like were the cannon S2 IS and the A620 so I thought one of them would be fine. After looking them up I see there is also a S3 IS and A700 soon to be out or out so I guess I am looking for some insight on the 4 models. I can tell you that we are looking just to take family pictures , some video, maybe birthdays, the zoo, ball park, etc nothing like professional grade just nice enough to send pictures to others or watch a video of vacation times .

The 4 models are
1. Cannon Powershot S2 IS
2. S3 IS

3. Cannon A620
4. Cannon A700
billtkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:39 PM   #2

billtkat-

As far as the Canon A-700 and the Canon S-3 IS IMHO I think that you are a bit premature. These cameras are just being introduced and there are no professional reviews or even user comments available. We do know that when introduced the A-700 will sell at very close to it MSRP of $(US)350.00

You can find more info at this link:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=12944

The Canon S-3 IS likewise will sell at nearly its MSRP of $(US)499.00. You will find more info at this link:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=13077

Keep in mind that there will also be a Canon SD-700 model as well that will be a good deal smaller than the A-700 and the SD-700 will also have IS. More info can be found here:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=13019

However, the Canon S-2 IS, in the process of these new model introductions, has become a real bargain, because it is selling for about $(US) 150.00 less than the Canon S-3 and it is a very highly scored camera in the professional reviews as well as in user comments.

The Canon A-620 is now selling for around $(US)290.00 and it is as equally scored as it's ultra zoom brethern the Canon S-2 IS

I own a Canon S-2 IS and I have been very happy with it. It is a great camera. Attached is a sample photo from the canon S-2 IS.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:49 PM   #3

thanks for your input. I do like the S-2 and not knowing what all the features mean I was not sure what I would be giving up not holding out for the S-3 other than the 5 to 6 megapix. I have read in several places that the cannon does great with pictures but what about video ? If I buy a 1 or 2 gig card how much time will it shoot ? Can anyone speak to the clarity ? I think 5 mp is all I would need for my pictures but would also like to be able to shoot clean video. Also as you can tell I am a novice at this and would like to know if this is pretty easy to use and get good shots or does it take a lot of adjusting and messing with settings to get some of the good shots I have seen posted ? thanks
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:57 PM   #4

The video on the S2 is one of the highest rated. I've had this camera for a couple months now and have nothing but good things to say/ share about it.

I havethree 512 cards. I rotate them. I'm always concerned about ruining a card, so rotating them makes me feel better.

I've shot of prob thousands of photos with this cam, and am still learning. It's a great point and shoot camera, in addition to it being something you can grow with.

Attached Images

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:17 PM   #5

How much video time can you get from a 512 card ?
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:28 PM   #6

I can't say I've really tested it.. sorry.. My average needed clips are 2-4 min. I have yet to max out a card on video to try it.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:36 PM   #7

billtkat-

Because both VWmom andI take short video clips. I think YOU are going to have to do a lttle research, on your own.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:39 PM   #8

This should answer your question.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/002-e.html