Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:33 PM   #1

Hey all. Im a first time digital camera buyer looking for some advice. I currently own a Canon Rebel 35mm and am extremely pleased with it. I need a digital camera though and cant decide if I want something small and compact or more SLR like. Im choosing between
1 Canon IS2 -love the 12x optical and IS
2 Sony DSCP200- love the compact size and photo quality
3 Possibly a Panasonic model with 6x optical with IS but I've heard mixed reviews
So any advice? I was orginally looking at the Panasonic Luminex but I don't remember which model had 6x optical and Is, but heard some so so reviews about picture quality and some experiencing blurring at the edges of the shots. I am leaning towards the IS2 at this point but I do a lot of traveling and the Sony's size is very appealing.
uglybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:35 PM   #2

uglybaby-

Why not purchase a Canon 350D/XT and make use of the lenses that you already own?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:50 PM   #3

Too much money. I am hoping to keep around 300 but I just saw the Canon s80...man this is getting tougher and tougher.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:13 PM   #4

Stay FAR away from the P200.. there are a handful of reasons why it's been discontinued.

The S2 is an incredible camera.. My vote is that one. I gloat about this camera daily.. actually several times a day. If you have questions about it, ask away.

From the S2
Attached Images

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:40 PM   #5

uglybaby-

If the size of your camera is indeed an issue. The Canon S-70 would be a better choice than the S-80, if you had to have a Canon. If you can think beyond Canon, the the Casio Z-120 could save you a whole lot of money and give you photos every bit as good as the canon S-70 or S-80.

'Just a suggestion.

MT
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:14 PM   #6

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
Stay FAR away from the P200.. there are a handful of reasons why it's been discontinued.
What are some of those reasons?? The p200 has received many favorable reviews, just check out the review from this site for specifics. I own the P93 as a third camera, and my 10 year old daughter uses it with very good results. The P200 is smaller, has more resolution and should offer decent performance, especially given its newly reduced price. I'm not aware of any defects or issues....the camera is just at the end of its life cycle, and sony is introducing more products.

The S2 is a good camera as well, though not as pocketable. The IS and extra zoom certainly make it a compelling choice. I haven't been as impressed with the superzooms in general...they all have issues with CA and are a bit larger and less easy to carry. Unless you need the extra zoom, the smaller digicams beat them in nearly every other category.

The Canon point and shoots are really all very good..small, fast, pocketable and great image quality. There is one at nearly every price point.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:22 PM   #7

The p200 is one of the cameras I tried and returned before settling on the S2.. I've owned a Sony digicam for the last 3 yrs (the P71) and comparing overall color and picture quality, I'm not at all satisfied with the new Sonys. My old Sony.. I LOVED.

I tried the S40, P200 and the W5 of the newer models, and was FAR from impressed.. this is comparing it to my 3yr old camera.From Sony, I moved onto Canon.. Actually from suggestions from this and other forums. From there I tried the 410, 610 and finally settling on the S2. Everyone is entitled to opinions.. From all the complaints I've read, and repair issues on the p200.. compiled with my own experience of the camera.. It is not one that I'd recommend at all. I would stand behind my good old 71 before the 200.

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:56 PM   #8

The P200 is discontinued? Hmm didn't know that. I wasn't aware of it having so many problems either. Let me show you some images I have taken with my Canon Rebel 35mm film camera to give you an idea of what kinds of pictures I like/would like to take.

All these shots are from the Czech Republic and I do travel alot so I thought a small compact high mega pixel cameras ie the sony would be a good choice. I was just torn between ease of portbility and the 12x zoom of the Canon. Hopefully these shots give you an idea of the kinda touristy shots I like to take. Thanks for all the replies and keep the opinions coming. As for the Casio suggested by Mountian climber it seems to have quite a few complaints about image quality. Perhaps a Panasonic? The more I learn the less I know what I want to do.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:24 PM   #9

uglybaby-

You have to realize that very, very, few point & shoot cameras (perhaps the Canon A-620, but none of the ultra zooms)are going to produce the quality photos that you have produced with your film SLR. Your photos look great and they show good photographic knowledge and technique.

Its just a personal opinion only, but if you desire the same image quality, you shoud give some consideration to a consumer dSLR camera. If your budget does not allow that then, again IMHO, you will have to make some image compromises.

MT
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:38 PM   #10

Okay I got you Mt. Climber. Theres just so many choices. Given all that I've put forth now, choosing between the IS2 and the a620, which would suit me best? The 620 seems to have the best of both worlds. Although the 12x zoom....man. I'm kind of leaning towards the S2 but will the 7mp provide me with better quality photos? Forgive these redundant sounding questions. Too bad the Sony P200 is junk, it looks really sexy.:?