Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:57 PM   #11

for image quality be sure to get a camera with high resolution and by the way how much would you like to spend for your camera so i can recommend the best one for you?

--------------------------------------

[url removed by moderator]

Commercial Posts are against the rules.

Jim C.

dggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:35 PM   #12

dggirl-

What high resolution camera would you recommend for me? And can you tell me something about your primary camera and your experience, please.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:59 PM   #13

For a newborn you want optical stabilization. You shouldn't use the flash for a few months and you want some shots with eyes open. I love my little Z750, but I had a bear of a time getting good shots of my new granddaughter until her mother would let me use the flash. I could really have used stabilization or high ISO capability.

I don't think it would be wise to wait too long. Digital photos are free and if you buy something fairly soon you can be competent with the camera by the time the baby arrives.

If a long zoom isn't a requirement I would suggest something small you can carry around easily.

It is still a little pricey, but the Sony T9 is about the smallest camera with optical stabilization. It also takes much better than average photos at ISO 400, and the combination of stabilization and ISO 400 would give you some very nice available light photos. It also has a large internal memory where you can store a permanent album to show off the good pictures on the very high quality LCD. Shutter lag and cycle times are excellent but the flash is good only to 9 feet.

The Panasonic FX9 is reasonably priced and has optical stabilization and a good quality LCD. Flash range is a little better than the T9 but it isn't very good at higher ISO and doesn't have internal memory.

Really good high ISO performance can give a lot of versatility also. The only cameras currently available with high ISO quality good enough to make up for lack of stabilization are the Fuji F10 and F11. But they have a poor quality LCD that is hard to see in sunlight, no internal memory and a clunky menu system. Photo quality is excellent though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:52 AM   #14

in terms of high resolution, you need Olympus Stylus 710 because it has the following:

- 7.1 megapixel sensor (it's a high resolution)
- 3x optical zoom
- 2.5 inch LCD

and if ever you wanted to use it with your family through rain, sleet and snow you can use it all the way. A big plus for the Stylus 710 is the Bright Capture Technology that makes it possible to clearly and brightly preview and take pictures in low-light situations. At $347, it fits most pocketbooks as well. Just a fanatic of newest tech =)
If you want to ask more about cam you can ask me .

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:13 AM   #15

dggirl-

You are quoting word by word from Olympus Camera Company advertisments. The Stylus 710 is certainly not the best 7mp camera in the market today. There are lots of 7mp cameras on the market. Please understand that the Stylus 710 is NOT waterproof, it is only water resistant. You had better stay out of those hurricanes and deluging rainstorms.So lets please keepany claimin perspective.

I could be wrong, but my impression is that most members of the Forum are here to discus a wide range of cameras because each of us have different needs and shooting styles. So it is not a "one size fits all" kind of forum.

Slipe, in his post made some very good points.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:55 PM   #16

ok, i just want to help and give opinion and just thought that Stylus 710 can help:sad:

Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:51 AM   #17

Well after some thought and forum reading I have gone for the Panasonic FZ7 in the end - On order so when I get it I will let you know how I get on!
kennyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:36 AM   #18

ok now I need to buy a new card as my previous one was a memorty stick!

Would buy a sandiskbut they dont list Panasonic on their compatability list

Any suggestions? Do I need a high speed card with this type of cam?

Thanks everyone
kennyx is offline   Reply With Quote