Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:06 AM   #21

I, for one would MUCH rather have a tiny digicam on a lanyard around my neck, in my shirt pocket, than lug some $%^&* heavy, bulky SLR of any stripe around.

And, yes, my memories of Pitcairn Island, Easter Island, and Machu Picchu, and other places in Peru are very well served by my tiny Minolta.

I discovered this back when 35mm was king: my Olympus XA "backup" camera got all the shots, while the SLR with all those clumsy lenses remained hidden from thieves in the car.

And since even a 3MP digital is BETTER than film (by actual 12"x18" print test), I'll stick with the smallest digital I can. It can zoom in by optics or two good shoes in on a shot and have it "in the bag" while the SLR is being fumbled out, lenses changed & all that.

Thank you. Sheeesh.
Ohlsonmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:55 AM   #22
me2

"I, for one would MUCH rather have a tiny digicam on a lanyard around my neck, in my shirt pocket, than lug some $%^&* heavy, bulky SLR of any stripe around."

A D50 or a Pentax with the kit lens weighs about 2.5 pounds. Does your wife carry a purse ? How heavy is it ? Maybe she could carry the camera for you.

"I discovered this back when 35mm was king: my Olympus XA "backup" camera got all the shots, while the SLR with all those clumsy lenses remained hidden from thieves in the car."

What is the zoom ratio on your "tiny digicam" ? A 18-70 is 3.5x. A 18-200 is10x. How much zoom range do you need ? You shouldn't need more than one lens on a DSLR, to be comparable with your "tiny digicam" anyway. One more thing. If you shoot with a 6 or 8 MP camera you can stand a much smaller subject in comparison to a 3 MP camera. In fact you can throw half the pixels away and not lose anything compared to the 3MP camera. You only need to be half as close with the higher MP cameras.

"And since even a 3MP digital is BETTER than film (by actual 12"x18" print test), I'll stick with the smallest digital I can."

3MP = 1400 x 2100 approximately. On a 12 x 19 print that is just over 100 DPI. So your film is only 100 DPI enlarged to 12x19 ? I guess all those people buying printers with 300 and 600 DPI are wasting their money.

"It can zoom in by optics or two good shoes" Ever take pictures over water ? Or from a cliff ? Or of a bird in a tree ? Or from the nose bleed section at a concert ? Or the back of a church ?

"and have it "in the bag" while the SLR is being fumbled out, lenses changed & all that."

That would be the SLR with an "On Time" of less than 1/4 second, capable of shooting 2.5 frames per second until the buffer or card fills ? The one with continuous focus and the large bright viewfinder and hand operated zoom ring right on the lens ? Man, I'd have 10 good shots snapped off before your LCD got lit up !

And just to be sure I could set it to auto bracket on white balance or eV and really be sure I got the shot. Does your pocket have a histogram or a fashing "highlights" view to tell you if you didn't "get the shot" ?

Thank you. Sheeesh.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 2:48 AM   #23
me2

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=58
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 6:16 AM   #24

I had a similar problem, choosing between jumping into the DSLR jungle or staying P&S. I chose P&S Kodak Z740. While being a great camera , i went out and bought a Nikon D50 about 3 months later, simply because of the limitations on my P&S camera.

I wish i had taken the step right away, and gone for the DSLR. (would have saved me my z740, which is collecting dust as we speak )

If it´s a price issue, i recently saw the Pentax DL with 18-55mm going for 487$..
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:27 AM   #25

Certainly there are pro's and con's on either side of this Light vs Heavyissue. However, it really a personal decision. I carry a Pentax DS, with a single lens and that is just fine for me. I respect the others who prefer to cary a Pentax WPI on a lanyard around their neck, too.

However, at the end of the day I just might have been able to deal with a few more dark churches, mummy tombs, and the like. But it is clearly their choice, and that is fine with me.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote