Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:27 AM   #1

I've done a fair amount of research on dslr's and I am down to the Olympus E500 and the Nikon D50.

My main use for the camera is taking pictures of my three kids (the oldest turned 10 yesterday), so the focusing speed and focusing accuracy is of interest to me. Are these cameras comparable when it comes to focusing?

I've been using a Olympus 720UZ p&s camera and I have been frustrated with it because most of the pictures are out of focus.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated...
curtismk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 9:31 AM   #2

I own both and they are equally fast with focusing. The time to focus will vary slightly with the lighting conditions.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:17 PM   #3

I was also in doubt between de E500 and the d50.

Fibally I purchased the E300 from Olympus. This is my third digital Olympus Camera.

I wanted an SLR because of making foto 's under difficult circumstances.

Distance and inside or in the dark without using flash. The differences between consumers camera 'are verry small. Only in reviews the differences are bigger.

The dustcleaning system and the fact I am used to Olympus made the differences.

The grip for de E300 is better I think than from the E500. At the end the price (only € 599) was verry interesting for the body and two lenses (14-45 and 40-150).

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:18 PM   #4

Also keep in mind that the D-50 has the lowest noise levels of any consumer dSLR camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:22 PM   #5

You may want to read my reply (March 17th 5:51PM) to a threadI started a few days ago. On the " Olympus E Series DSLR " forum titled " E-500 Owners-any Buyers remource".

I have gone through a ream of paper printing out reviews , forum post and specs over the last few weeks. I guess it did get a bit over the top. I narrowed downmy choices for a new camera to the Olympus E-500 and the Canon 30D.

The bottom line is " the real lesson learned here is it's great to read the specs, read as many reviews as possible ,follow the forums and ask for advice but in the end use the camera's you are thinking about, print off some shots and then let you eye be the final decision maker"
Bayside3 is offline   Reply With Quote