Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:01 PM   #21

RandyeSue-

You ignored several of my questions that would really help me sort out the problem.

First of all, please answer these questions:

(a) What proram are you using to reduce the size of your photos for posting on this forum?

(b) Do you now understand that there are both minimum and maximum distances for using your camera's built-in flash?

(c) Do you understand that as you zoom your S-5200 further and further out to bring the scene closer or largerin your your view finder that the useable aperture is also automatically being reduced, thus reducing the light needed to take the photo,as you zoom out?

OK, now let's analyze your latest two posted photos. Here is #1 after a bit of post processing.

MT

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:06 PM   #22

Even my pics at iso 200 with flash don't seem as sharp as my little canon s230. Am I just used to canon photo quality? Would I be better off with a camera with IS, lower iso and ability to change shutter speed instead? Help!!! I have till tomorrow to decide whether to return the Fuji or not.
randyesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:09 PM   #23

Sorry I was probably posting my last question while you were posting yours. I'm using Photoimpression that came with my canon to change size. I guess I didn't realize that about the zooming. What can I do to compensate for less light due to smaller aperture?

Thanks for your patience.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:14 PM   #24

RandyeSue-

From the image I just posted (the one with some pp, or post processing) we can see several problems.

(a) You moved the camera while taking the photo, or did not push down half way on you shutter release to let the camera properly focus. Either would blur the photo like you can see in this photo. The exposure was OK, the camera handling is what ruined the photo.

(b) You were more than 10 to 12 feet from your subjects, and therefore out of maximum flash range for your S-5200.

(c) If I had the EXIF info available, I would be able to read the actual shutter speed used in the photo, but lacking that, I will have to make a guess that the shutter speed used in the photo was also slow (below 1/50th of a second) and this further contributed to the out of focus blurriness of this photo.

Another important question: Are you doing any software editing/post processing of your photos? In my next post we will look at your second most recently posted photo taken using high ISO only.

MT
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:25 PM   #25

RandyeSue-

OK, let's move to the second photo which I will attach to this post.

(a) While you did use ISO 800, under the lighting conditions in the gym, you ended up with a very slow shutter speed. Therefore the action of the child coming off the slide was not stopped. Had you used ISO 1600 which is available on your S-5200, you probably would have been able to stop the action.

(b) This time you did not move the camera,and/or you pushed the shutter release half way down, and let the camera properly focus, because the slide is in focus.

MT
Attached Images

Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:25 PM   #26

RandyeSue-

OK, let's move to the second photo which I will attach to this post.

(a) While you did use ISO 800, under the lighting conditions in the gym, you ended up with a very slow shutter speed. Therefore the action of the child coming off the slide was not stopped. Had you used ISO 1600 which is available on your S-5200, you probably would have been able to stop the action.

(b) This time you did not move the camera,and/or you pushed the shutter release half way down, and let the camera properly focus, because the slide is in focus.

MT
Attached Images

Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:58 PM   #27

RandyeSue-

The Fuji S-5200 is a better camera than your older Canon S-230. It is even more capable. What we need to do is to educate the camera operator a little bit.

(a) you really have to hold the camera absolutely still when taking a photo. This applies to both cameras. By holding the camera absolutely still and by pushing the shutter release halfway down and allowing the camera to focus properly, you will get much sharper and well focused photos

(b) you really have to understand the minimum and maximum distances for using your built-in flash. See page 47 in the instruction manual.

(c) if you are using high ISO settings and no flash use the "N" or natural light mode which is described on page 38 of your instruction manual. Use must use AUTO ISO. This will probably make things a bit easier for you, as you will not have to select a specific ISO setting.

(d) For any other photos with flash, please use P for program mode, as described on page 47 of your instruction manual with an ISO setting of no more than 100. This will work fine as long as you don't get closer than 3 to 4 feet from your subject or further than 10 to 12 feet from your subject.

(e) For other photos it is best to use P for program mode. It works just like the "AUTO" position, except that it allows you to make various changes, like ISO changes, that can not be done in the "AUTO" mode.

Photo Impressions, which came with yourCanon camera, is a pretty good program and can easily be used on your photos to improve them with some post processing.

If you follow these fivetotally optional guidelines, that I have listed above, I think that youmight find that your photos will improve.

MT
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:38 PM   #28

randysue,

If you wouldn't mind, try downloading this program and use it to resize some of your pics...it's free, and it doesn't strip your EXIF.

http://www.irfanview.com/

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:46 AM   #29

I will download that tomorrow - thanks Hun!!

I've tried the "P" setting. The camera tells me I can <or> the shutter setting but it won't change. Am I misunderstanding something?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:41 AM   #30

What does <or> mean?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote