Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:53 AM   #31

It's the up or down buttons on the back of the camera. In playback mode, the up button is the trash.

Am Ioverthinking this whole thing? Ijust don't understand why my pics enen at iso 100 aren't as sharp as the canon.

randyesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:48 AM   #32

RandyeSue-

This is for shots taken without Flash

With your S-5200 in the "P" for Program Mode and the flash selected to the "OFF" position, when you press the shutter half way down it will show you (in the bottom left hand corner of the LCD or EVF screen)the selected shutter speed and aperture. If that shutter speed is too slow for the action that you have in your photo, you can change the selected shutter speed and aperture, by using the up and down buttons on the 4 way controller on the back of your camera. This action is called "Program Shift." You will find this procedure written about in detail on page 39 of your camera's manual.

Program Shift would have allowed you to increase the shutter speed in the case of photo #2, which we discussed yesterday, where the child is getting off of the slide and you needed a faster shutter speed to prevent blur in your photo.

The <or> part that you are seeing is just the alternative exposure combinations of shutter speed and aperture than you can use. That is what Program Shift is offering you.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:15 PM   #33

With my camera in P mode, and flash off, no matter what I dowith the 4 way controller,it won't change the shutter speed. The numbers turn yellow but don't change when I push the buttons up or down.

What am I doing wrong?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:49 PM   #34

I have the S5100 and generally all my pics look quite sharp IF you know what settings to use. All these manual controls sure are fun but get in the way if you aren't thinking clearly.

I don't have my camera with me but I remember that sometimes you have to hold down another button before you can change the some of the options (aperature or shutter speed). So I think you hold down the button that looks like a (+/-) which changes exposure I believe while pressing UP/DOWN or LEFT/RIGHT on the D-PAD. Give that a shot. The S5200 is an amazing camera and I wish I paid the extra $$$ to get it.

sfu_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:58 PM   #35

Thanks sfu engineer. I just tried it but no luck. I think I 've tried every combo of buttons together. Any other suggestions?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:19 PM   #36

Randyesue

Yes, I have a suggestion. The answers are right in the S-5200 instruction manual. If I were there I could show you step by step, but I am not there.

So here is my suggestion:

(1) Begin with very simple photos using your camera in daylight conditions with the ISO set to no more than ISO 100. Pefect those photos with lots of practice. Make sure that you get very sharply focused, well exposed photos.

(2) Next, begin with flash photos with the ISO set at 100. Keep your subjects no closer than 3 feet away from the camera and no farther away than 10 to 12 feet away from your camera. Be sure to hold the camera absolutely still when taking any photo. Understand that some rapid/fast child movements might be blurred a bit.

(3) Only after you have master steps (1) and (2) completely should you begin to experiment with no flash+high ISO photos. Please follow my previous suggestions. Please understand the no flash+high ISO photos take some photographic skill and you really need to pay attention to the shutter speeds being used. This is class of photos is moving well beyond the snapshot category.

Understand that your camera is not a magician. It is an electronic device that has some real functional limitations that you must respect if you expect to get excellent, sharp, well exposed, photos. And I probably say this too much, but Randyesue you are not holding your camera absolutely still when taking photos. A lot of your sample photos show some camera movement.

You can do these things and get excellent photos, if you apply yourself. Take a digital cameras course at your local Community College, it surely will help.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:45 PM   #37

I certainly will take your advice - thanks mt. My concern at this point is if my camera is working properly as far as your advice from a previous post. When on P mode and I try to Program shift as you suggested using the up and down buttons on the 4 way controller, nothing changes. Am I not pushing buttons in proper order or is my camera not working properly?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:52 PM   #38

randysue,

program shift does not work because the lens is already wide open. You cannot open up the aperture any further (and increase the shutter speed) any more indoors in low light. Try program shift outdoors in sunlight--it should work fine.

Again, I'll repeat what I said before b/c I do want to help you:

1) don't use the zoom indoors.

2) Use the viewfinder, not the LCD to frame your shots.

3) Use high ISO AND flash.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:36 PM   #39

randysue,

Any luck with Irfanview?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:53 AM   #40
Baz

I often use program shift on my Fuji 602 & S9500 cameras. Both have a "Command dial" that one rotates to change the aperture & shutter combinations.

I'm curious about how the combinations are adjusted on the Fuji 5200. Is it simply with the up/down arrows on the 4 way controller? Despite much advice, Randyesue finds that "nothing changes" with the up/down buttons.

thebac is correct that if the aperture is wide open, a faster shutter cannot be selected, but Sue sees no changes with either the up or down buttons.

What is the correct way to change the program shift? sfu suggested the (+-) button was involved. I had a look at Steve's review of the 5200, but instructions for this function were unclear. What does the manual say? If any 5200 owners can clarilfy this function, it may help Sue to use the P mode, reassure her that the camera is OK, and satisfy my curiousity...

Thanks,, Baz.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote