Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:44 AM   #41

When the camera is in Programmed Auto mode the shutter speed and aperture setting combination can be changed without changing the exposure settings(program shift) with UP and DOWN arrows on the four-direction pad. The same as S5500/5100.

HTH
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:45 AM   #42

Yes, that is my problem. When in program mode, the up down arrows on the 4 way controller do nothing. the +/- button will work but the up down for shutter/aperture doesn't.

Sorry hun, I haven't tried irfanview yet - two little kids, one really sick right now and can't do muck but hold him. Haven't even touched the camera in days. I'll try to do it at naptime if that ever happens

Nowhere in the manual does it explain program shift or which button to push. Is program shift the same as changing aperture and shutter speed or is it the exposure?

Ok, I just reread the bac's post. I'll try the "P" mode outdoors not indoors to see if that changes anything.
randyesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:52 PM   #43

No need to apologize randyesue, the children come first. When you're ready, post...I'll be around.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:18 PM   #44

randyesue-

I surely do hope that everyone is feeling better. I have finished teaching for the week, and got a chance to pull out and try the program shift feature on my S-5200.

I just re-checked and you can do a program shift procedure as I previously described (see page 39 in the camera manual), using the 4 way controller's up and down buttons. You can also shutter preference (the "S" symbol on your Mode Dial/Selector) and the use the up and down just like program shift. The Shutter Preference Mode is described on page 40 of the camera manual. That also works but you ill have to pay close attention to the instructions in your camera manual.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 5:58 PM   #45

I am able to do the program shift when outdoors, not indoors. As "the bac" stated, I guess the aperture is already as wide as it can get. I'd like to get the shutter speed faster though when indoors. Would I use the "S" mode for this?

Yes, my son is much better, thanks. What a rough week - for him and me
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:03 PM   #46

randyesue-

What you will have to do is to use some flash to get more shutter option capability/flexibility and the S for shutter preference. We are all happy to hear that your son is feeling much better.

MT
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:36 PM   #47

randyesue-

Please give me an update on what is happening with your Fuji S-5200, please.

MT
Old Mar 26, 2006, 1:35 PM   #48

Hi there. Sorry I haven't gotten back. My other kid is sick- day care woes

Anyway, I've been playing with the camera as often as I can, and as inexperienced as I am, I can tell it does take awesome pictures. I just need a lot more practice and some education. HOpefully this summer my local comm. college extension program will offer some courses. I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest comm. college is 1&1/2 hours away.

I'll keep you all updated and hopefully if I haven't annoyed any of you with all mydumb questions, you'll be around for some more

Thanks again for all your patience.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:01 PM   #49

randyesue-

I'll be here until about mid April, and then we begin doing seminars on the road and on cruise ships. We'll be home for a breather in July and August. But I am sure that lots of folks here will be happy tohelp out.

I hope that you children weather the "sickies." With eight children anything anyone brought home seemed to be shared with by all of us.

MT
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:55 AM   #50

Eight kids??? You're my hero!!!!

Thanks again for all your help.

Randye