Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:09 PM   #1

guys im looking for a basic camera for my elderley parents so nothign flash, just a good zoom, basic features, easy to use and large display, in the smallest camera possible. Any thoughts ?
lammcspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:27 PM   #2

You might want to take a look at the Casio Z-120. I'm 71 and I do fine with my Z-120. It costs around $230. By the way I don't consider myself "elderly."

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:05 PM   #3

Try the Panasonic Lumix FX9.

Everything is all set up for use from the start, and it is quite small and light.

2.5 Inch LCD, 207K, which means lots of quality in the LCD viewing area.

The 3X Optical Zoom is average, but image quality is generally quite good.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:54 AM   #4

Although I am 20 years younger than MT, I have more and more problems to read without reading glasses. Hence I have to keep the camera LCD at quite some distance to view it clearly. Hence an optical viewfinder is mandatory for a camera for the elderly. Also pressing the head against the camera to look through the viewfinder gives additional stability, whence reduces blurring by camera shake. Unlike the Casio Z120 the Lumix FX9 has no viewfinder. With its large 1/1.8" 7 MP Sony CCD the Casio also has a significantly better image quality than the Lumix with its small 1/2.5" 6 MP CCD. The Leica lense and the image stabiliser are a plus for the Lumix, but the Casio is also significantly cheaper. All in all I would go with MT and recommend the Casio.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:51 AM   #5

Cool, thanks guys, sorry MT, I wouldnt call my parents elderley either. Not if I didnt want a slipper across my backside anyway

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
You might want to take a look at the Casio Z-120. I'm 71 and I do fine with my Z-120. It costs around $230. By the way I don't co nsider myself "elderly."

MT

lammcspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:57 AM   #6

My wife is 65 - I don't consider that "elderly", but I recently bought her the Canon SD-450. Large LCD display - easy to use - very compact. She loves it!
GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:04 AM   #7

Suffering from presbyopia (age related long sight) I find camera with dials to set the main functions much easier to use than menu based cameras.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote