Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:25 PM   #1

To tell you the truth, I have no money to spend on a dSLR camera. I was wondering if there are any decent dSLR cameras for an extrenely entry level digital-photographer. I have a lot of experience with SLR film cameras, but not digital. Also I was wondering if the Fujifilm s5200 or any other point-and-shoot type cameras similar to that one have the option of manual focus. I know the point-and-shoot system doesn't have interchangeable lenses, but can you add extra mounts and whatnot to make it macro or zoom-in more, etc.?

Thanks, I know I'm quite "digital-naive". Help would be much appreciated...
alanportfolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:06 AM   #2

What kind of manual focus are you looking for? The Fuji S5200 does have a manual focus on it but its pretty useless and hard to use(bad location for the button, its the same button as the zoom in/out but you have to press another botton to get manual focus). The manual focus is right next to the view finder so if you are using the view finder it is kinda hard to operate unless if you use the LCD. (this was true for me atleast).

If you are looking for something with a manual focus ring, the Fuji S9000, Panasonic FZ20/FZ30 are two camera that are very popular and has a manual focus ring. The new Sony R1 is good too but cost about $900 or so.

Those camera with manual focus ring are close to atleast $500. You can pick up the Pentax DL for about that price and pick up a good lense for another $80, that will give you a lot more feature then a PnS camera.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 1:02 AM   #3

The Fujifilm S5200 does offer manual focus and anti-blur technology and optional wide & telephoto lens adapters. Looks like a cool camera! The Nikon 8800 offers manual focus and likely many other high-end all-in-one's do also.

You can get quite a few DSLR's now for around the same price as a high-end all-in-one. The Nikon D50 & D70 come to mind, as well as the Canon Digital Rebel and Rebel XT, the Minolta Maxxum 5 and 7, the Olympus E-1, Evolt E-300 and 500, the Pentax ist DL & DS2, and this is not a complete list! Most of these can be gotten with a basic lens that keeps the price down, but if you already have some good lenses from your film SLR, you may be able to use them with a digital model from the same manufacturer.

Just my opinion, but I think that someone coming from film SLR's to digital Point & Shoots -- even the good ones -- will be disappointed in the performance and the inconvenience of heavily menu-based controls. There's nothing wrong with the image quality of many, many P&S cameras, but things like shutter lag, small buffers, poor DOF control and noisy sensors will make you start saving right away for a DSLR.

In defense of good P&S's, though, they offer good lenses and the convenience of large zoom ranges in a relatively light, compact unit. You can even overlook the slower performance if you don't often take pictures where speed is neccesary to "capture the moment".

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:56 AM   #4

Thanks guys, seems like there are a lot more cameras like that than I thought. I was thinking before about getting the Pentax DL, but it is kind of outside my budget. The whole thing about the Fujifilm manual focus thing being hard to use, I definetly wouldn't like that. I love being able to focus and zoom however I want. When you suggested the S9000, I watched a review video over it, and saw the manual focus ring and whatnot. That seems like a cool camera.

Thanks again, I'll keep ya'lls advice in mind. :-D
Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:20 PM   #5

If you are not doing any landscape photography or need a wide angle lense you can get the Pentax DL for about $450 shipped without the lense
http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=pnistdl
And you can buy a nice all around Sigma 28-200mm lense on ebay for about $85 shipped brand new
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-28-200mm-F...QQcmdZViewItem
B&H photo wants $200 for that SAME lense!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I have the DS with stock lense(bought at costco) and that sigma 28-200m lense that I bought off of that same guy from ebay. I am not a pro photographer, but I think that sigma lense is really a nice lense to have.

For about $550 you get a full featured dSLR camera, a nice all around lense and leave you more room to grow later one if u want more lense.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:25 PM   #6

I looked at the stuff, and it seems pretty cool. Thanks a lot.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 4:43 PM   #7
E.T

alanportfolio wrote:
Quote:
I know the point-and-shoot system doesn't have interchangeable lenses, but can you add extra mounts and whatnot to make it macro or zoom-in more, etc.?
Unlike SLR lenses non-DSLR cameras focus really close.
But in most macro is available only in wide angle meaning you have to cram camera very close to object shading it badly (+high distortions) if you want that closest macro.
Some of the better non-DSLRs have macro also on tele end which enables shots from smaller target without cramming lens to it.

Also you propably would want working manual controls, am I right?

Here's non-DSLR cameras which I know to use ring for manual focus instead of "morse coding"/button tapping: (plus also mechanical zoom)

-Fuji S9000/9500, 28-300mm (better than standard high ISOs)
-Kodak P880, 24-140mm (exceptional wide angle)
-KonicaMinolta A2 & A200, stabilized 28-200mm (A2 has absolutely best controls outside DSLRs and good for manual focusing very high res EVF)
-Panasonic FZ30, stabilized 35-420mm (but worst noise)
-Samsung 815, 28-420mm

But what would be your primary use?
Because low light capability, fast focusing to even moving targets and fast burst speeds are those areas where DSLRs really shine.
Or is it that you would expect performance similar to films you use?

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
If you are not doing any landscape photography or need a wide angle lense you can get the Pentax DL for about $450 shipped without the lense
http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=pnistdl
And you can buy a nice all around Sigma 28-200mm
Which becomes nice unwide angle in non-fullframe DSLR.
(in most DSLRs focal lengths of lens has to be multiplied with ~1.6)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 5:20 PM   #8

I took a look at those cameras, and they're pretty nice. I wouldn't really be taking that many shots in low-light though.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:29 PM   #9

what is your budget at the moment, and what kind of previous SLR camera did you have?How many lenses and so did you have for the old camera. If you are stocked with old gear, it definately would be worth while taking a jump to DSLR in my opinion seing as you already had a lot of base equipment.
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:12 PM   #10

I just got a sony cybershot H-1. this is a point and shoot but easy to use manual adjustments ... see review ... 12 x zoom
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote