Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2006, 1:57 PM   #1

This will be my first digital camera. I love to take pictures of everything. I will be taking it on a cruise in June, so it needs to have attachments or something that will allow me to take great pictures in the sun and water. I take a lot of pictures of people so I dont like redeye. Also, I have a new puppy that I want to take plenty of pictures of and she is very active.

I really don't know where to start. I have read ALOT of reviews on all different kinds of camera's, but half the language I don't understand.

It seems simple enough. I didnt want to spend too much on my first camera, because they are constantly updating these things and canceling others. I want good quality pictures that I can print. I probably won't be doing many 8x10's just the basic 5x7 mostly.

I would appreciate any help I can get on my search!! Thank you.

atmacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:03 PM   #2

The red-eye problem is huge if you want a small camera. About the best I know of for red-eye is the Sony P200. Abe's of Maine has it for $253 delivered, and Abe is reliable.

There were some reports of dust getting into the camera if you carried it in your pocket. I don't know whether Sony fixed that in later releases or maybe it just happened someone started a thread. Many cameras will get dust if you carry them in your pocket all the time.

You don't need attachments. Just spend some time learning the camera. Spot metering or EV shift will handle most difficult lighting. The P200 does have manual exposure if you want to mess with that.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:27 AM   #3

The Sony P200 is NOT a good investment. Unless you get it for REAL cheap, you're better off with a different camera. There are mutilple threads on the 200.. a quick search will clarify this.

You may want to look at the Canon A610. From what you've said, it would do you well. It has rave reviews everwhere, and the swivel lcd is something I've found awesome, and not avail. on a lot of cameras.If you can handle the size and price, the Canon S2 IS is another good choice, it's an super zoom camera, with stereo sound movie mode. And the fact that the flash is farther from the lense.. you'll get less redeye.. though both models I'vefoundare good with red eye.

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 8:23 AM   #4

I agree with vwmom, look at the A610.
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 5:39 PM   #5

Steve put the P200 in his best cameras list. He is in a unique position to compare cameras and evidently liked the images. The only real complaints I have heard about the camera are dust getting into the camera carrying it around in your pocket and Dave at Imaging Resource saying he thought the noise reduction was too aggressive. That isn't something you will see even on an 8 X 10 from a 7Mp camera.

You will see the regular background clutter of people complaining they get blurry pictures indoors with almost any digital camera. Some people don't like the 1/45 shutter sync for flash. It is a compromise that gives better lit backgrounds at the cost of possible ghosts in bright ambient lighting. Looking through the P200 images on pbase I don't see that it gives poor quality images at all.

The A610 is a great camera for the price if you want to expand some into using the manual controls, although the control setup isn't very good on the camera for using them. But you take a big hit in portability. With 4 AA batteries installed it is too bulky and heavy as a carry-everywhere camera. It might be OK for a female with a large purse, but it will often be sitting at home when a photo opportunity arises otherwise. I've always had a carry everywhere camera and the A610 doesn't come close to my requirements in that category.

The P200 wouldn't be my absolute first choice of pocket cameras, but I don't mind cleaning up red-eye in software. My current pocket camera is a red-eye machine like the A610. But if you don't want red-eye the P200 is probably your best bet. You will still get some red-eye at longer ranges, but it is a lot better than most. It is also very reasonably priced for a 7Mp camera with a lithium battery and charger.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 5:00 PM   #6

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I am going to get the canon a610, because it sounds like the type of camera i am looking for. Thanks!

Amber
atmacky is offline   Reply With Quote