Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2006, 1:43 PM   #1

Hi,

After a month of wrangling with Pixmania over a faulty brand new IXUS 750, they've finally admitted losing it after I'd returned it. I was quite happy to go ahead with another 750 (though not from them) but now the IXUS 60 (SD600) comes along.

Apart from losing a meagapixal and gaining ISO 800 and a marginally better screen resolution, can any Canon buffs let me know what else I'm gaining/losing please?

Also can anyone tell me in an understandable way about the CCD sizing. What's the difference between 1/1.8" and 1/2.5" and which is better?

Cheers

YT
YorkshireTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2006, 1:57 PM   #2

yeah, the 1/1.8 sensor is .555 inches wide and the 1/2.5 sensor is .4 inches wide. Generaly speaking the bigger sensor is always more preferable, all else being equal.

I think I would go for the high ISO model myself, as losing one megapixel really doesnt mean much. That being said, I have not seen any shots at this high ISO so who knows what it looks like. Being these are pockets cameras, the kind you slip in your picket for parties and other events likely to be dark, the ISO would be the better feature.

The SD630 has a nice massive 3 inch screen. That would be pretty sweet as well if you could afford it.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I've been more than happy with my S2's 5mp so I think you're right about 6mp being ample. And again the higher iso (and auto high iso, as the S2 frustratingly hardly goes above 50 at any time) is a function I'd find very useful.

Not sure if I want to lose the viewfinder though. But a 3" screen is kinda nice :-)

Thanks again...

YT
YorkshireTaff is offline   Reply With Quote