Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:18 AM   #1

I have been reading these forums a lot along with the rest of the web and am trying to decide on an ultra compact to replace my Pentax 555. I can carry my Pentax in my pocket but want something smaller that will be even easier to carry around anytime.

Here are my wishes in priority order:
- Fast startup and shooting - similar to DSLR's :-)
- Smaller the better
- Great photos indoors so flash/low light needs to work well
- Prefer more point and shoot so manual settings not a priority
- Not interested that much in video
- Would prefer to charge battery out of camera but can settle for in a dock

I have it narrowed down now to one of these cameras:
Canon SD600
Casio EX-S600
Casio EX-Z850
Nikon S5
Pansonic DMC-FX01

I have read about the weakness of flash in the FX01 and the LCD glare of the S5,

I see people love the speed of the Canon SD550 so assume the SD600 would be just as fast. Since most of these cameras are new there aren't too many reviews so I can't get the information as to how fast they are.

The FX01 is nice because it has image stabilization and higher ISO, but is slightly bigger than the others.

The size of the S600 is a plus.

I have knocked a bunch of cameras off my list so I know there are other possibilities out there but I think I'd like to keep it narrowed down to this list, so I don't have to restart my process again. LOL

I need to buy within the next 2 weeks. Can you experts out there that know more than me help me out in making a decision?
Thanks,
Jeff

dcwebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:48 AM   #2

Jeff-

I went through the very same process and ended up buying the Casio Z-120.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 2:00 PM   #3

MT,
Thanks for the reply, but that wasn't one of the choices.

But in fairness, I did go look at the specs for it. I like that it takes AA batteries but I think the thickness is just a bit too thick. It sounds like it's fast which is great so would you think the other Casios, Z850 or S600, would be just as fast?

Jeff

Old Mar 18, 2006, 4:36 PM   #4

Jeff-

It is my understanding that the Casio Z-850 would be a much better choice than the Z-600.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:53 PM   #5

You meant the S600 not Z600, right? I know there's a Casio Z600 too but I'm not interested in that one. Why they have all these close names is beyond me.

OK, I have one vote for Z850. Anybody else have an opinion on my 5 camera choices realizing my priority order?

Jeff

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:44 AM   #6

Having actually held and tried none, as I have said on a similar thread, a resident expert told me how great the 850 is going to be, then sold me on the FX01.

I am likewise moving from a tiny Pentax that is great because when it is on my belt while I am walking around, I don't even know it's there. But it is 3X/3MP, and I want more capability.

I am most impressed with the 10X/5MP Pana TZ1. It should do what I really like to do with a camera, and I will get it unless, upon holding it, it is just too big and heavy to carry at all times. It weighs twice what the FX01 does and is slightly more bulky as well. I would rather have 8MP than 5 MP. But here is a stupid question. Isn't a higher resolution the same as more zoom? If I take the 8MP image and blow it up on my computer, won't the image hold up as it is cropped in just as if I had been able to zoom in on it? What is the difference?

That isn't one of your choices, you don't need big zoom I guess, so my vote is the FX01. Though I don't know how much you would need that wide angle lens for a simple indoors shot of friends at a party or something.

I like to shoot indoors at times also, and also at suset and dusk, so I agree that some low light capability is vital. Either the Casio or the Panasonic should deliver some.
arrowspace90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:51 AM   #7

Thanks for your vote. It would be nice to have a big zoom in an ultra compact but I am a realist and I also have a Minolta Z3 that gives me 12X zoom so I can bring that too if I think I'm really going to zoom.

Unfortunately I can't answer your MP question. From what I have understood before the real advantage of having more MP is just if you want to enlarge the printed photos. It's also a great marketing tool.

Jeff
Old Mar 19, 2006, 4:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Isn't a higher resolution the same as more zoom? If I take the 8MP image and blow it up on my computer, won't the image hold up as it is cropped in just as if I had been able to zoom in on it? What is the difference?
An 8Mp image with 2X digital zoom or cropped to the same size as a 2X digital zoom gives a 2Mp image. Some cameras interpolate it back up, but it is still only a 2Mp image using only 2Mp of the 8Mp sensor. Megapixels aren't a substitute for optical zoom.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:59 PM   #9

Well, decision and purchase has been made.:-)I really wanted speed to be the most important factor and since the Canon's are usually known for speed, I thought the SD600 might be a good choice. I wasn't sure though until this morning when I looked at the sale ads in the paper. I was actually able to finagle a final price at a local store for the Canon SD600 of $295. I haven't opened the box yet but I can tell I'm satisifed with my purchase, especially for that price!

Jeff

Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:12 PM   #10

Thank you for this important point. On a seperate thread, a couple of more well informed shutter bugs likewise pointed this fact out to me. And also the now obvious point that I can't just say "10X" without also knowing, "!0 times what". slipe wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Isn't a higher resolution the same as more zoom? If I take the 8MP image and blow it up on my computer, won't the image hold up as it is cropped in just as if I had been able to zoom in on it? What is the difference?
An 8Mp image with 2X digital zoom or cropped to the same size as a 2X digital zoom gives a 2Mp image. Some cameras interpolate it back up, but it is still only a 2Mp image using only 2Mp of the 8Mp sensor. Megapixels aren't a substitute for optical zoom.
arrowspace90 is offline   Reply With Quote