Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:45 AM   #1

Hi,

I am in the process of choosing a new camera to purchase. My last camera was a 1 mega pixel digital camera.

My chooses are Sony Cybershot H1, FujiFilm FinePix 5200, Nikon Coolpix S4, Kodak Eastshare 850.

I am looking for relatively easy use, and the best picture quality. Which camera is the best

picture_novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:15 AM   #2

novice-

The main ultra zooms with IS are the Canon S-2, the Sony H-1, and the Kodak P-850. I have owned and used all three cameras. I like the S-2 the best for its folding LCD screen, the fact that it uses AA batteries, SD chips, and a great lens that can handle Super Macro just as well as 12X Optical Zoom. I sold the H-1 and I am selling the P-850 right now on E-Bay.

If you can do without IS you can add the Fuji S-5200 and S-9000 and the Kodak Z740 and Z7590 to your list. The Z-7590 is a fine little camera and a full $100 less than the Canon S-2. I you take a lot of low light level shots the two Fuji ultra zooms are worth considering because they are capable of ISO settings up to ISO 1600.

I have attached a Canon S-2 sample photo.

MT

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:30 AM   #3

Thank you for responding back.what would be your favorite choice,if you had to choose,between your suggested the canon S1 or fuji 5300, fuji9000.

I am looking for a camera that I can grow into, seeing that am such a novice and my husband is even worse than me.

I am technically savy and can learn quickly, but ease of use important especially for him.

Thank you in advanced for your help. I am going to buy it based on your recommendation, not to put added pressure on you.

Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:48 AM   #4

Hi again,

Another question for you. You are selling yournewer Kodak Easyshare 850, but recommended the old version easyshare Kodak Z740 and Z7590, what is the reason are these better performance than the newer 850?

Looking for a camera thathas the best picture quality considering low to high lighting situations, that can do it automatically, but has the versalility for an advanced user. (Once I get myself up to speed in picture taking.)

Most of my low lighting shots always come outpoor. But then again most of my light shots come out poor as well. I would love to learn how to take a beautiful picture like your birdpicture.

Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:40 AM   #5

novice-

I really think that the Kodak Z-7590 takes photos just as good as the Kodak P-850, and costs a heck of lot less. I happily use the Canon S-2 and my husband who is not a big techie, and does not want to spend a lot of time finely honing his photography skills,gets great photos with the Kodak Z-7590. So there was no reason to hang on to the P-850, and its up for sale.

To learn more about your digital camera why not take a course on it at your local Community College. They are inexpensive and you can really learn a lot. I teach four different courses for our local Community College on digital cameras.

MT
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:23 PM   #6

If you want a cam that is easy to handle without learning the basics of photography, then I would recommend the Canon IS2. Perhaps the Panasonic F7 is another good choice. I can't recommend the Fuji S9000, because compared two the other cams mentioned it is not that easy to use (but when you know how to use it, it is great)...
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:35 PM   #7

MT,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have been concentrating on alearning curve on video editing software. I took up a project back in Nov for my daughters upcoming batmitzah.

I took 18 years of home videos and loaded them on a computer and have been creating video treasures. Currently I am tapped out with learning the in and outs of this special editing software.

So yes, I definately have interest and will pursue learning more about photogrpahy in the future, locally.

Have a look of some of my work. My DVR camera takes 3m pixel so I am like a kid in a candy store coming from my old 1 meg camera.

http://www.homevideotreasures.com

So my next big purchase is to buy a picture camera, that can help my new business and can grow with me.

Thank you again for your help, my top choice is the canon camera from cosco. I think I will pick one up this week.

Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:41 AM   #8

Thank you for responding back. Out of those three, put easy to use as a second. Which camera takes the best picture. Have you used all three.

I have been told that the fuji has this imazing technology that allows wonderful pictures with all levels of light, do you agree on this.

Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:56 PM   #9

Yes, the S9500 is a very versatile cam and it _can_ produce wonderful images, but as I said before, it will disappoint you if you want a cam that makes the "perfect picture" for you in automatic mode. If you want a cam that offers the most flexibility you can get (compared to non dSLR cams) then this is the camera for you.
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:42 AM   #10

When you combine photo quality, ease of use, and the out of the box functionality (meaning not a lot of post processing in software), if I had to set a priority, I would list them as:

Canon S-2

Fuji S-5200

Fuji S-9000

I own all three cameras, and I arranged them while considering that you are coming at this with lesser experience position.

MT