Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:31 PM   #1

Hello,

I am badly confused in choosing a good camera between Sony DSC-H1 and Canon PowerShot S2 IS.

I need to buy one of these for taking pictures in Concert so let me tell you the condition of the concert.

1) moslty the concerts happen in night.

2) sometimes they don't allowed to stand near to the stage, In this situation more zoom will be used (Which one give good quality result on full zoom?)

3) sometimes lightings are low and sometimes high.

4) sometimes movement of artist is slow and sometimes fast (Depand on the performance)

I think its enough information to give idea about my purpose of buying new camera,

Now please kindly suggest me which one is better and more suitable for me

Best Regards

Hassan
H@ssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:14 PM   #2

[email protected]-

The two cameras that you mention will only be marginal in performance in a concert venue. The ideal camera is a dSLR camera. If that is beyond your budget take a look at theFuji S-5200 or a Fuji S-900 which are both high ISO capable. They will be marginal but have a much better chance of getting a few photos thanks to their high ISO capability.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:35 PM   #3

Hi mtclimber,

I took some pictures with Canon A310and I think these 2 camers are better than A310, what do you say ?

See these pictures and do tell me will Canon S2 IS and Sony H1 give the better result ?

http://www.apniisp.com/gallery/gal/E...lub/pic_13.jpg

http://www.apniisp.com/gallery/gal/E...lub/pic_10.jpg

http://www.apniisp.com/gallery/gal/E...lub/pic_44.jpg

http://www.apniisp.com/gallery/gal/E...lub/pic_38.jpg

http://www.apniisp.com/gallery/gal/E...lub/pic_18.jpg

http://www.apniisp.com/gallery/gal/E...lub/pic_48.jpg

http://www.apniisp.com/gallery/gal/E...lub/pic_18.jpg

Best Regards

Hassan
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:45 PM   #4

[email protected]-

Because there is no EXIF informationon the attached sample photos it is impossible to make a really accuarate evaluation of your attached photos. I appears that some were taken using flash and other photos had no flash used. The Canos S-2 will give you more zoom capability, perhaps better sharpness, but the photo will not be better lighted than your sample photos.

MT
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:41 PM   #5

I think the S2 is the better choice of the two you listed. The H1 has no burst mode and dpreview said the stabilization isn't as effective. And the articulated LCD on the S2 will let you hold the camera over your head to get clear shots.

Stabilization will give you a LOT more light than your A310 because you can shoot at much lower shutter speeds. Of course anything moving onstage will blur. Burst mode is handy for that as you can improve your chances of hitting a moment of null movement.

High ISO capability is much better for capturing movement onstage at the cost of noise. If you want long zoom range the Fujis are about the only choice currently available with better than average high ISO noise.

I'm not a rock concert fan, but I have read that large cameras can be a problem getting past security. You might want to wait for the Canon SD700 with optical stabilization, 4X zoom and claimed better than average noise at higher ISO. It is a small camera. The combination of stabilization and better high ISO might be a good combination if 4X is enough zoom.

Image editing can also help a lot. This is one of your dark shots with a run through Photoshop.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:39 AM   #6

Mtclimber,

I used flash in all the pictures but some of these picture were taken by my friends camera, It was A95 or A85 I think,

Ok tell me 2 things :-

1)Will S2 IS or H1 give the Result better than canon A95 ?

2)Which on of these will give better result in medium light and lil bit movement (If I will not use full zoom)

I will have to buy one tomorrow and still not decided.

Best Regards

Hassan

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
[email protected]-

Because there is no EXIF informationon the attached sample photos it is impossible to make a really accuarate evaluation of your attached photos. I appears that some were taken using flash and other photos had no flash used. The Canos S-2 will give you more zoom capability, perhaps better sharpness, but the photo will not be better lighted than your sample photos.

MT
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:00 PM   #7

[email protected]-

The answer is still the same. Either the Canon S-2 or the H-1 will give you more zoom but the flash will be the same, the lighting the same, and the results the same.

The only camera that can change those facts is a high ISO capable camera such as the Fuji S-5200, which does have zoom but not IS.

MT
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:39 PM   #8

Okay! You mean if the postion of light in concert will be the same, the result of photo will be the same but there will be advantage of zoon when taking photos from long distance, am I right ?

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
[email protected]-

The answer is still the same. Either the Canon S-2 or the H-1 will give you more zoom but the flash will be the same, the lighting the same, and the results the same.

The only camera that can change those facts is a high ISO capable camera such as the Fuji S-5200, which does have zoom but not IS.

MT
Old Mar 23, 2006, 5:00 PM   #9

No, [email protected]-

What I am saying is that if you are unhappy with the darkness of your photos, then the next thing you should do is to look for a camera that uses HIGHER ISO settings than either the Canon S-2 and the Sony H-1, such as the Fuji S-5200 and the Fuji S-9000, or even the F-10, 11or F-30.

MT
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:04 PM   #10

I read alot of reviews of these cameras and some people are saying they got blury images because shutter speed so wanted to know what is this ? is this adjustable ?

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
No, [email protected]-

What I am saying is that if you are unhappy with the darkness of your photos, then the next thing you should do is to look for a camera that uses HIGHER ISO settings than either the Canon S-2 and the Sony H-1, such as the Fuji S-5200 and the Fuji S-9000, or even the F-10, 11or F-30.

MT