Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:39 PM   #1

Hi - I am new. I hope I have posted this correctly. I have a Fuji Finepix F700. I have had it for a year. My first digital. Now, I am really enjoying the phototaking and looking at a new camera with a bigger zoom than the 3x I have. Today I saw the Fuji S5200 with the 10X zoom. It felt very comfortable in my hands. My question is should I be spending $500. on a new camera in which the only real difference I can see is the zoom. I did think of going the SLR route but I really don't want to get into all the different lenses those entail. I really want a good point and shoot. Any suggestions or advise would be welcomed. Thanks.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:13 AM   #2

Shari-

The differences between your F-700 and the S-5200 are bigger than just zoom. The S-5200 is going to give you much more low light shooting capability, because the ISO can be set as high as ISO 1600. In adddition you will also be using an EVF (electronic view finder) where you will have all of the information that appears on the main LCD available to you right through the viewfinder, which, at least to my way of thinking, is a huge improvement.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3

Thank you VERY much MT. That is just the type of thing I wanted to know. The 700 has a lithium battery and the S5200 has batteries - does that matter? I know Fuji has come out with a few more since the S5200 but do you think this is the best one for the zoom? I'm welcome to any suggestions. Thank you.

The other thing I guess is the cards are so much more expensive for the Fuji but I really do like the one I already have and I guess would keep as a pocket camera.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:02 PM   #4

Shari-

Currently the highest rated 10 to 12X optical zoom cameras are the Canon S-2 and the Sony H-1, soon we will have the Canon S-3 and the Sony H-2 and H-5, but they are not on the market yet.

The Canon S-2 uses 4 AA batteries and SD cards

The Sony H-1 uses AA batteries and Memory Sticks

I personally don't believe the type of battery matters, but I do know folks who feel strongly that type does matter. As I said before, if you do a lot of low light level/no flash photos you may want to consider the Fuji S-5200 and its big brother the S-9000/9500 (which uses CF cards as well as XD Cards) due to their high ISO capabilities.

MT
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:13 PM   #5

Mike - I am seriously considering the S5200. I have one being held. Do you know how this camera is for indoor or nighttime photos. What features does the big brother have that I might benefit from. I really am just a beginner but am enjoying using Elements and at the moment am using my 3x zoom on most photos. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am very new at all this.

Shari
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:28 PM   #6

Shari-

BTW my name is not Mike. But, I would rather that you took a look at S-9000 review on your own to be sure that the S-9000 might work for you. That way you will have all the facts to make a good personal decision. You can find it at this link:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s9000.html

MT
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:26 PM   #7

Just out of curiosity, why did you ask if you should be spending $500 on a digi cam? The S5200 should only cost you $250-300.

My grandmother recently purchased the S5200, and it is fantastic! It's noise capabilities don't mach my F10, but the 380mm lens is fantastic, and can maintain F3.5 at full tele, which is astonishing! The flash also has great range, and the fast lens helps reduce the need for using the highest ISO setting and enhances telephoto flash range.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:37 PM   #8

I live in Canada. We have 14% sales tax as well. Costco had the camera at $429. and London Drugs (where I would buy it) at $449. so with the tax it is $500. plus I will want to buy a 1 GB card as I will be keeping my F700 as a pocket camera.