Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:28 PM   #21

mrb-

Yes, the Canon S-2 has a better noise profile than the Panasonic FZ-7 And by the way, the FZ-30 is so large because the lens does not retract I am told.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:36 PM   #22
mrb

Yes MT, I believe that I read that the FZ30 lens does not retract. This would make sense, as I believe that the FZ 30 has a manual focus ring and manual zoom ring.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:37 PM   #23

mrb-

If you need it, here is a link to a recent Fuji S-5200 review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S5200/S52A.HTM

MT
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:31 PM   #24
mrb

MT - Good resource. I took a look at the review, but I think I am still swayed toward the Canon S2.

Also, I just entered a post in the memory card forum regarding SD cards for the S2. Any tips would be appreciated. I will also be looking for NiMH batteries, so I'll be researching them also!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:51 PM   #25

mrb-

I don't take many video clips, so I can easily get by with inexpensive, run of the mill SD cards.

I gave you the link on the S-5200, just in case you wanted a look at it.

MT
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:10 PM   #26
mrb

Thank you MT. I'm not sure yet how much I will use the video. Is the run of the mill card sufficient for rapid burst mode, or can the card slow it down?
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:26 AM   #27

mrb-

If you do a lot of burst mode shots and/or video clips, then a higher speed SD card is warranted.

MT
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:53 PM   #28
mrb

I finally decided! After a few more hours of looking at prices on the internet, I ordered the Canon S2 IS.

I saw it at a few websites for around $300, but they did not not seem like very reputable companies based on resellerratings.com, and judging by some of the tips posted in these forums. There are many companies (with apparently better reputations) listing it for about $330-$350. Butterfly Photo was the lowest at $329, but I ended up ordering it from Dell by phone. I paid $319 ($338 total, with tax and free shipping). I had hoped to get another $10 off with a coupon code, but it didn't work. I was very pleased with Dell's service when I purchased a computer last year, so I figured I'd go with them. I believe they do returns pretty easily also, if it became necessary.

Regarding the S3 IS, I decided that it wasn't worth the extra $150. Not enough improvement for me, no user reviews yet, and maybe another 2 months before shipping. Plus, I figured that the $150 would probably be better spent on upgrading to a newer camera in a few years, since the S2 and S3 will be old technology by then.

Thank you all (especially Mt Climber) for your input. I can wait to get it! Now I'm back to looking for SD card, batteries, and carry case.

Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:09 AM   #29

mrb-

Congratulations on making your decision. The Canon S-2 is a great camera and it will give you good service.

MT
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:10 PM   #30

I pulled up the Canon S-2 and it is certainly a beautiful camera. No doubt it will take marvelous photos.

I am swayed by the size and weight of the camera; for anyone thinking of taking the camera with you somewhere outside the home this becomes pretty important.

The Canon S-2 weighs about 14 oz. The Panasonic TZ1 weighs about 7oz. That is half the weight.

The Canon probably has manual controls for the purists (I didn't check), but both have stabilization.

The TZ1 is not out just yet so the quality of the photos cannot be compared.
arrowspace90 is offline   Reply With Quote