Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:13 PM   #1

Hello

I am looking for a digital camera, thats not an SLR , that has low noise at ISO 400. I willbe shooting indoors where a flash is not alowed. I have been looking at the Canon S2 but the noise seems high at ISO 400. Do they make anything to fit my needs and not be an SLR???

Joe
JoeAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:11 PM   #2

Yes. The Fuji F10, F11, or upcoming F11 have very low noise ISO400 capabilities, and the ability to go up to ISO1600 without being too noisy, less than your canon at ISO400.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:21 PM   #3

The king of low noise is the Fuji F-10/F-11, and soon perhaps the F-30, as well. Here is a sample.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:47 AM   #4

I am looking for the same thing.
Fuji seems to be the king of low light P&S

The F10 2.5" screen will be less $ max iso-1600
The V10 smaller(super compact) with 3.0" screen max iso 1600
The new F30 2.5" screen max iso 3200

I just wish they had a viewfinder.

I have never used a camera without one and am scared that it will be harder to use.
Any sujestions.

Thanks in advance, Chris from Toronto, Canada
Solarstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:13 AM   #5

Definetly not as good as the F10 but Fuji's S5200 should do better than most digicams at ISO 400 and ISO 800. IT too will go up to 1600. IT has an EVF viewfinder.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:10 PM   #6

nelmr-

If you desire a viewfinder then the Fuji S-5200 or its big brother, the S-9000 offer the plus of a viewfinder. However, please keep in mind that that the photo quality of the S-9000 is wholly dependant on so called "work-arounds" and a great deal of post processing.

MT
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:20 PM   #7

How does everybody out there feel about using cameras without viewfinders ?

Solarstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:35 PM   #8
me2

I'd hate, hate, hate not having a veiwfinder ! Although a bad viewfinder isn't a good thing either.

I really applaud you for doing a bit bit of research on your needs and understanding something about noise.

Not to rain on your selection, but the handling of that camera wasn't err... heralded by everyone. I wonder if Fuji isn't going to release an updated model in the near term.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:45 PM   #9

Me2-

I have respected your posts and know that you really like dSLR cameras, which is fine. I use dSLR cameras as well. However, for those that desire to use a point and shoot cameras, the Fuji F-10,11, 30 cameras do offer a very viable alternative solution.

MT
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:46 PM   #10

Actually, most digital cameras, esspecially compacts, have terrible viewfinders anyways with low coverage and poor comfort and visability. With brightness booster, I rarely miss the viewfinder. Just be sure to learn how to hold it steady to get the best shots in low light.

The attached picture should have been taken at ISO1600, but I took it at ISO800. It was at full zoom with only mediocre lighting, so it took it at 1/28th second. I am lucky it was a clear as it was. At ISO 1600, it would have used 1/56th sec. This image is at the FIRST robotics regionals, with Jeb Bush in the middle. In most conditions, I use ISO 200, as detail is great with little noise. The S5200 is as great camera if zoom, EVF, or full manual control is necissary, but you lose the size and some low noise capability.
Attached Images

Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote