Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:35 PM   #1

havingused enough ofcompact cams, i finally decided to move on to digital SLR

i have a limited budget, narrowed my choises to D50 and 350D (perhaps there should be others to consider too? )

pros and cons ?? any other suggestions ??

will they offer me a far better picture quality than for example 7.1mpA620 ?

is this a good decision ?

thank you....
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:55 PM   #2

I am a Digital Camera Instructor for our state university. I have actually found that the images from the Canon A-620 are just a bit shy of what a dSLR camera can do.

However, in the same breath, I must honestly tell you that a dSLR camera such as the Nikon D-50 can take photos in worse situations (very low light levels particularly with low noise) than the A-620 can do.

If your requirements are for general, family, travel photos, the Canon A-620 will serve you very well indeed. If you do a lot of low light level shooting, then consider either the Fuji F-10/11/30 (if you don't need a lot of zoom) or a dSLR camera such as the Nikon D-50 or the Pentax DL.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:46 PM   #3

thanks MT i am seriously considering A620 but i can not help thinking of the lovely SLR's in my hand.
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 7:01 PM   #4

can i just add if your thinking of a lovely dSLR then get one. You wont be happy until you do, I know I wasnt...
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:51 PM   #5

I surely agree! If you have had it in your hand, and the imediate love was present, then there is no way around it! You neeeeeeeed it.

On a more serious level, I did the mistake of thinking :"I have toconsidermy money first of all" Result? one Kodak Z740 ( used it for 3 months, a good little camera but not a DSLR ) afterwards i gave up and bought a nikon D50.

Depending on need, i would recommend D50 ( I´m biased ) Pentax *stDL ( has loads of old lenses at cheap prices and will go iso3200 ) last but not least KM 5D ( antishake + Iso3200 )

I have left out canon 350D for one simple reason, It´s a great camera, but a little more pricey than the others. (didn´t quite feel right in my hands butSpec- and image quality wise it´s a greatcamera)
monx is offline   Reply With Quote