Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:16 AM   #1

Ok, I'm waiting until April 1st to see if the Canon rebates that are going to kick into effect will apply to any other model numbers other than that 5D, but regardless, here's the choice I need to make below. If possible, I'd like to hear from people with experience using the XT, who upgraded to the 30D (or 20D if the 30D isn't in your hands yet).

I use a 10D currently. Seeking just a bit better image quality and a bit more cropping ability. Will be used for work and homeuse. While that 5D is tempting, it's just to me, overpriced for what it is. I figure I'll do something with another model now, and in a couple of years, see how the 5D series has evolved and go that route at that time.

Ok, the M A I N goal here is image quality. I'm going to get a good lens of some sort or another from Canon, but I've heard two conflicting reports from people about the image quality of the XT compared to the 20D/30D models. Some say the XT image quality is "identical", and others say the 20D/30D images are noticeably better.

The plastic build of the XT will not bother me. As I said, in a couple of years I'll go higher end, so if the XT is the answer, build quality is scratched off the list as something to make my decision. If I go with the XT, I can get that nice lens as well as a battery grip and extra battery all at once. If I go with the 30D, I'll only be able to afford the camera and the other items will have to go on hold. But if the 30D produces better overall image quality, I would want to go that route. My prints do sometimes hit the 11 by 14 and even now and again a 16 by 20 size, so, that's why the emphasis is on image detail quality {using a good lens of course}, even if it's only a little bit higher on one.

So, any XT users who have used the 30D yet? Image quality the same, or is the 30D better? thank you.

richardj30127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2

No one in here upgraded from a XT to 30D {or even 20D}? This must not have been a popular upgrade path.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Administrator

From time to time, I see someone that buys a Rebel XT, changes their mind and gets the EOS-20D instead.

But, it would be pretty rare to see someone upgrade from a camera like the XT, since it hasn't been out for a terribly long time and the 20D offers no resolution advantage.

The 20D/30D both have better ergonomics, and are designed for more serious use, with things like a PC Sync Port, ISO 3200, larger buffer, better viewfinder, faster frame rate, better build quality that you don't have on the entry level model.

The Rebel XT's images are probably "tuned" for less post processing (which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your perspective.

I'd make sure to try them out in a store to see what you're comfortable with.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:41 PM   #4

Thank you, JimC.

Actually, I've handled both the Xt and 20D in stores. I'm assuming the30D handles nearly the same as the 20D. Sure, the 20D is more solid but the XT really didn't bother me that much. The viewfinder is a little small but I have good eyesight so that's not a huge deal as well.

My biggest concern was image quality at large print sizes. As in, if I used the same lens on a XT and 20D, did the same adjustments using my computer on each image, and blew each one up to a 16 by 20 inch size, would they pretty much both look equal, or for some reason would the 20D/30D images look better? Not sure what you mean by the XT images being more "tuned" and in a possible "bad way" to some people. I have read where people say digital slrs process images less so the user can do it themselves, so if the XT does more of it, does that make the image quality worse looking at larger print sizes?

I won't keep asking stuff after this. It's just for the $1,500.00 budget I have, I can get a XT with a battery holder, extra battery and a good lens for that price, but if I go the 30D route I'll only be able to get the camera and use medium quality lenses we already have for a while. If the XT image quality can literally match that of the 20D/30D at large print sizes, I'll go that route.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 2:21 AM   #5

richardj30127 wrote:
Quote:

So, any XT users who have used the 30D yet? Image quality the same, or is the 30D better? thank you.

I got myXT on jan-1-2006 used it ,liked it ,great pic............ but when I played with my friend's 20d I just loved it, so when the 30D came out I sold my xt and got it, one week ago.

the 2.5" lcd is realy nice,faster focusing speed using the Sigma 18-200 on both cameras, I will keep this camera for at least 4 year and buy more lenses.

If you are thinking of getting the XT with the battery grib , then look in to the 20Dfor about the same price. the price will drop once the 30D is out in the USA.

I think the Image quality is very close if not the same.

ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 2:21 AM   #6

richardj30127 wrote:
Quote:

I got myXT on jan-1-2006 used it ,liked it ,great pic............ but when I played with my friend's 20d I just loved it, so when the 30D came out I sold my xt and got it, one week ago.

the 2.5" lcd is realy nice,faster focusing speed using the Sigma 18-200 on both cameras, I will keep this camera for at least 4 year and buy more lenses.

If you are thinking of getting the XT with the battery grib , then look in to the 20Dfor about the same price. the price will drop once the 30D is out in the USA.

I think the Image quality is very close if not the same.

ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote