Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:35 AM   #1

Hello I've been reading the reviews on this website and on others and need some advice on what camera to buy

I am mainly after:

1. Fantastic image quality
2. A large LCD screen
3. Above average flash quality (i.e. 3m+)

The cameras which I'm currently interested in are:

Canon SD550
Casio EX-Z750
Casio EX-Z600
Casio EX-Z120
Sony DSC-W50

I know the cameras listed have different resolutions but the pictures I've seen have been of good quality.

Any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:04 AM   #2

hades-

For me, the choice would be between the Canon SD-550 and the Sony W-50.Am I correctthat your flash requirement calls for at least a flash range of 3 meters? Keep in mind that both of these cameras are basically fully automatic cameras that have the ability to only adjust WB and ISO. The SD-550 has more substantial metal casing , while the W-50 has poly carbonate casing.

In terms of flash performance, the SD-550 will meet the requirement easily. The Casio Z-120 ,and the Sony W-50, will have to use selected, ISO rather than auto ISO to meet the flash requirement.

If video clips have a significant importance to you, then give some consideration to the Casio Z-120 which produces MPEG-4 video clips, using far less memory card space. The Z-120 also has full metal casing

If no flash or low light level shooting have a siginifican importance then, the Sony W-50, with anISO capability up to ISO 1000 should attract your attention.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:12 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would you happen to know of the image quality differences between the cameras, i.e what one provides the "better" images.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 3:11 PM   #4

Hades-

Both of the cameras are very close. However, the Canon SD-550 probably has a narrow edge in terms of photo quality, as long as you can deal with the Canon's low ISO capabilities, and the potential of a cracked LCD.

MT
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:57 AM   #5

Thanks again for the speedy reply. I've been doing more research and I've found that the Canon A620 is also a worthy consideration due to the sample images I've seen, and of course the positive reviews on the forums and other websites.

However I'm wondering whether when comparing these two cameras side by side, if there are any major differences (other than the styling in which case the SD550/IXUS750 wins).

Both are in my price range and produce exceptional photos from what I've seen; however I will require the camera to take photos of friends (college is almost over) and also for the prom.

Therefore I'll require a camera which can take good photos at low light levels, with or without the aid of the flash.

Taking videos is not that important.

Any advice on the above would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:05 AM   #6

If taking photos in low light level environments, and no flash photos is the added requirement, the the Canon cameras cannot cut it, with their low ISO capability. You will have to consider the Fuji F-10 or the soon to be released F-30. Here is a no flash sample from the F-10.

MT

Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:59 PM   #7

I've done some research on the F10 and the F11 and can say that this is what I'm after. However I've also come across the V10 which also catches my attention, even though a smaller sensor is used.

I am leaning towards the V10 purely due to design and of course the bigger screen, on the other hand is there a GREAT difference in photo quality between the V10 and F11?
Old Mar 26, 2006, 1:07 PM   #8

Sorry for the double post my connection got cut off and I was still on the reply page
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:26 AM   #9

Well I will put it this way, and it may just be a personal thing, but I buy a cameras based on its ability to take the kind of photos I am most interested in taking, not for style or curves or the like.

In the area of low light level shooting, the Fuji F-10/11 are clearly the winners with high ISO/no flash photos. The F-10/11are able to take photos that would be difficult for the Canon A-620 or the SD-550.

MT

Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:26 PM   #10

Hello, I'm new to this site, but I've learned a lot just reading the posts. I love to take photos at night. I wondered what camera was used for this fireworks shot.Thank you. DebDay
debday is offline   Reply With Quote