Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:39 PM   #1

I want a camera that can take pictures inside well, so these four cameras have been recommended to me because of their capabilities in these areas. I have read the reviews from a couple pages about each and still can't decide. I like the Olympus camera, but some of the reviews have said that the picture quality leaves something to be desired.

I have no need for the 8 or 9 megapixels that some of the cameras offer. In fact, I rarely print any pictures at all with my Nikon Coolpix 5400 currently. If anything, I'd be ordering prints and making books and everything straight from iPhoto (although Photoshop is available for more advanced editing).

Anyways, I just want a camera that can take good natural light non flash pictures, as well as good pictures with the background lit (like for concerts and presentations and such). I rarely need more control than shutter speed priority and setting white balance, and ISO of course.

And I would like a good movie mode, which is the only thing steering me away from the Stylus 800 right now.

I am gathering that the F30 is the replacement to the F10, so from initial specs, do you think it is worth it to wait? I also wouldn't mind the Z1 or V10 if they also are good cameras as judged by you guys.

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to hear back.
DenverMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:41 PM   #2

what is your current budget?
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:49 PM   #3

Complete package I don't want to spend more than $400. So for Olympus or Fuji that would mean no more than $320 or so for the camera (which is how much the E900 is currently on pricegrabber I believe) so that I can afford and adequate xD card. Maybe from another company like Casio or Canon I could go up to $350 because an SD card is cheaper, but I haven't seen any offerings from them that address the issue of a "Natural Light mode" or something similar.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:30 AM   #4

Denvermax-

Now let's be honest, shall we, the Stylus 800 amounts to absoltely nothing but weird aretefacts, shall we go on from there. The choice is yours.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:54 AM   #5

What are you trying to say? I thought the Olympus was using a similar processor that allowed for the same low-light capabilities as the Fujis...is that wrong?

And I read a review from Digital Camera Resource Page that said that the E900 was disappointing in low light, should I believe that if it has the same sensor as the famous low-light F10?
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:34 AM   #6
E.T

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Now let's be honest, shall we, the Stylus 800 amounts to absoltely nothingĀ* but weird aretefacts, shall we go on from there.
I agree, only Fuji has sensor whose noise is somewhat better and this Oly uses entirely standard sensor with heavy processing and higher ISOs than 200 are achieved by downsizing of image, which is propably reason for some really wacky "sawtooth" artefacts in sharp diagonal edges.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:18 AM   #7

DenverMax-

ET said it pretty well. First, I own the camera, and have a lot of hands on experience with it. Early on, I too, was quite hopeful, that I had found the ideal travel camera.But it just is not that camera. It does not use the F-10 sensor or even one like it, just as the S-9000 does not either. In short, it is a disappointing camera. It was a gift, so I had to keep smiling. But I bought a Fuji F-10 shortly afterward.

However, the choice is entirely up to you.

MT
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:26 PM   #8

Thanks guys for the very helpful responses. I believe then that this puts me back in the realm of Fuji cameras only. I have heard mixed things about the V10, still don't understand why the E900 is reported to be disappointing in low light, and am probably not going to go for the Z1. So I am left mostly with the choice between the F10, 11, or 30.

I have done some research also on these forums and came up with a lot of good things about a Panasonic FX01. Perhaps with OIS on this camera and high-sensitivity-high-ISO mode is it worth throwing in there as something to compete with the Fuji F-line or the E900?

Again, thanks for all the help, I cannot wait to get a new camera and enjoy your suggestions.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:56 PM   #9

Unfortunately the Panasonic FX01 does not do well at all in low light levels, it exhibits too much noise when pushed over ISO 200, just like the FZ series.

MT