Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:56 PM   #1

Hi all,

I've been reviewing cameras and have my heart set on a Nikon D50. I've visited some of the online stores that offer good deals yet they do not ship outside of the US. I was wondering if anyone knew of a store that offered comparable deals that shipped to Canada?

If I were to buy it from a store it would run about $1035 CAD after tax (or roughy $855 USD.) If anyone could give any advice that would be great.

(As a side note, how do people find buying cameras online? I've looked on Ebay but I am a bit weary of it because it is so much money to spend online and I would be nervous about it being shipped... what do you all think?)

Thanks
J&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2006, 8:21 PM   #2

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

There are probably lotsof businesses that ship to Canada, but the only one I have really dealt with is B&H from New York. www.bhphotovideo.com. Their reputation is very nearly spotless. Of course, there is always Henry's. www.henrys.com They are an excellent Canadian retailer. You can get a D50 with an 18-55 lens for $899.99 ($1035 with tax, so no savings there. B&H can get you the same kit for $649.95. (I don't know what you would pay in state taxes, but you'll probably have to pay customs. Shipping might be expensive, too.)

As far as Ebay is concerned, if you check feedback on the seller you can usually tell if they are reputable. Be advised that you will probably end up paying cutsoms here too. I recently boughtan N80 on ebay with no problems. When I added a 70-300 lens a week later, I gotdinged for $28 imprortduties.

I guess you'll have to weigh your options andtake your chances.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:00 PM   #3

thanks for the info; i will check out those sites.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:49 AM   #4
E.T

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
As far as Ebay is concerned, if you check feedback on the seller you can usually tell if they are reputable. Be advised that you will probably end up paying cutsoms here too.
Now that depends on from what country you buy, starting point is that from everything you order outside your country you has to pay customs unless packet happens to go through customs without anyone noticing it, or there's customs union between countries.

(also inside EU you can buy anything without any customs or VATs but that doesn't apply in this case)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:07 AM   #5
me2

If you ship with the US Postal Service (GEM) you get a tracable package and Canada post handles the customs for $8 + GST. DO NOT USE UPS as they will charge you $50 for customs. Total rip off. Fedex air includes customs charges.

I bought a refurbed D50 from completePhotoUSA on eBay. They are a legit photography company. All went smooth with them. Highly recommended.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:19 PM   #6

http://www.camera-warehouse.ca

Hi....

These guys are in Alberta , I'm waiting for an answer from Nikon Canada, to verify if they are a genuine Nikon reseller, because of grey market.

You might find it better to have your warranty validated in Canada, saves you
some shipping /duties cost. Besides Alberta do not have pst ,
& free shipping for $ 500 & above.

I'm also looking into a d50 /17-80 mm lens kit
cheers
J&J wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

I've been reviewing cameras and have my heart set on a Nikon D50. I've visited some of the online stores that offer good deals yet they do not ship outside of the US. I was wondering if anyone knew of a store that offered comparable deals that shipped to Canada?

If I were to buy it from a store it would run about $1035 CAD after tax (or roughy $855 USD.) If anyone could give any advice that would be great.

(As a side note, how do people find buying cameras online? I've looked on Ebay but I am a bit weary of it because it is so much money to spend online and I would be nervous about it being shipped... what do you all think?)

Thanks
Userdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:02 PM   #7

Userdude wrote:
Quote:
http://www.camera-warehouse.ca

Hi....

These guys are in Alberta , I'm waiting for an answer from Nikon Canada, to verify if they are a genuine Nikon reseller, because of grey market.

You might find it better to have your warranty validated in Canada, saves you some shipping /duties cost. Besides Alberta do not have pst ,
& free shipping for $ 500 & above.
I don't think "Grey market" would be a problem. This term generally applies to non-USA products imported into the American market. Nikon USA apparently doesn't like to deal with offshore warranty issues. The response I've heard from others is that Nikon Canada is a little more flexible in that regard, even with used equipment. (don't take my word for it; itbears checking out) As you are buying new, I don't expect you should have a problem.

By the way, I haven't purchased from Camera-warehouse, but when I was in the market for another camera, I remember that they were competitive in their pricing.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:36 PM   #8

thanks so much for all your advice. I'll be saving up tof the Nikon D50 and watching ebay and stores for deals that fit my budget...after that i'm looking to invest in a mac laptop to so i can edit my pics on that.

thanks again