Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:31 PM   #11

I think all current Casio cameras have a 3:2 mode. It is full resolution other than trimming some off the long edge. The P600 pro has both full resolution 3:2 and an orientation sensor, but I don't think any of the rest of the current line have an orientation sensor.

I also think all current Panasonic small cameras have a full resolution 3:2 along with 4:3 and 16:9. I don't know of any with orientation sensors.

Many Canons have orientation sensors but the 3:2 on some of them are at a lower resolution. You might look through some Canon specs to see if they have released anything with both full resolution 3:2 and orientation sensors.

Most Sony cameras have a full resolution 3:2 and there are probably others. It is a fairly common feature. If you look around you might find something other than the P600 with both full resolution 3:2 and an orientation sensor. I would look through the Sony line first.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:35 PM   #12

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:

Maybe I'm the one that's confused...when you say, "I'm not interested in post-processing hundreds of photos for 6x4 printing.", what post-processing are you referring to? If you take a photo with a camera that has a 4:3 aspect ratio you can print a 4x6 without doing any post-processing. So....?

the Hun

35mm cameras take photos at an aspect ratio of 3:2, hence ideally suit a 6x4" print. Most compact digital cameras take photos at a 4:3 ratio, and hence are ideally suited to a print size of 6x4.5". If you print them at 6x4" the image will be cropped by a 1/4" at the top and the bottom to fit the print size. In most cases this is not important, but if your subject is full frame (i.e. takes up most of the photo), then keys parts could be lost during this process (i.e. the top of someone's head).

Some photo processors can print your orders "fit-in", which means that the whole image is retained and white strips appear at top/bottom or left/right to fill the unused space. Either way, an image captured by a4.3 aspect ratio sensorwill not look right If you print them at 6x4".

my88wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:51 PM   #13

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I think all current Casio cameras have a 3:2 mode. It is full resolution other than trimming some off the long edge. The P600 pro has both full resolution 3:2 and an orientation sensor, but I don't think any of the rest of the current line have an orientation sensor.

I also think all current Panasonic small cameras have a full resolution 3:2 along with 4:3 and 16:9. I don't know of any with orientation sensors.

Many Canons have orientation sensors but the 3:2 on some of them are at a lower resolution. You might look through some Canon specs to see if they have released anything with both full resolution 3:2 and orientation sensors.

Most Sony cameras have a full resolution 3:2 and there are probably others. It is a fairly common feature. If you look around you might find something other than the P600 with both full resolution 3:2 and an orientation sensor. I would look through the Sony line first.

I think you're mistaken. Those compact cameras you mentioned have3:2 mode, but its only cropping though i.e. the sensor is still 4:3 aspect ratio. Most cameras that have true 3:2 sensor are dSLRs. The first *compact* camera to have a wide aspect ratio sensoris the Lumix DMC-LX1. Read about it here:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx1/

my88wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:34 PM   #14

Why do you care if the sensor is native 3:2 as long as the camera has a 3:2 mode (slipe mentioned that Casio have that, and I believe that many Sony's have that option as well)? If you want to avoid PP, just set it to 3:2 mode, no need for PP.

AFAIK, only some older cameras had native 3:2 among non-DSLR's.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:22 PM   #15

Quote:
I think you're mistaken. Those compact cameras you mentioned have 3:2 mode, but its only cropping though i.e. the sensor is still 4:3 aspect ratio.
You need to work a little on your reading skills. I explained you trim a little off the long edge to go from 4:3 to 3:2. Many Canons don't do that and have a postcard setting at 3:2 of lower resolution.

The sensor on the LX1 is closer to the 3:2 ratio but it is extremely noisy – probably the noisiest camera on the market. Most people get by fine having the camera just do the crop to 3:2 with the advantage of being able to adjust in the LCD so the photofinisher doesn't trim the top off someone's head.

I have never turned on 3:2 mode and probably never will. But it is a common feature and many people like it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:34 AM   #16

Is the Lumix DMC-LX2 really being released in April?

can you point me to where you heard that? have been waiting for its release. do you know what has been upgraded? i assume the noise situation has been addressed, anything else?
petenz is offline   Reply With Quote