Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:06 AM   #1

Hello all....

This is my first venture ,into the world of d slr, & I need some advice / opinions on the combination of the nikon D50 with the 18-70 mm lens kit ,which usually comes with the D70 body.

I need to take great outdoors shots, sometimes with low light (sunsets)
without post processing, if possible.

Cheers

Mike V
Userdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:28 AM   #2

Mike,

18-70 MM lens is one of the best nikonlenses, if you are looking for a ZOOM but starts at f/3.5 if that is OK to you.

If you DON"T want that WIDE and want a FAST ($100) lensthen you can also consider 50 MM f/1.8 prime lens, which isVERY FAST andSHARP.

If you are looking all in one ZOOM lens then you can consider 18-200 VR which will allow you to shoot in low light as it is VR.

There are even more costlier PRO lenses. You can read the reviews at : http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm#af

Srinu

vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:44 AM   #3

Mike-

The dSLR camera in actual shooting mode is a good deal different from point and shoot cameras. dSLR images have a good deal less in camera processing when compared to point and shoot in camera processing which can often have an over processed look to them.

Yes, some images out of the D-50 are going to be fine but the expectation is that the D-50 user will do some post processing to get really excellent images.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:24 PM   #4

Mike,

I have seen your other post and looks like you are trying to decide between XT & D50. When i have recently bought the DSLR i had the same question and have ended with D50. Off-cource its your personal choice. But still want to let you know the reason why i choose D50 over XT is :

1.) D50 has got the low Noise levels at high ISO's (1600)when compared to any other camera even XT, D70, D200.

2.) Ease of use, Controls & Egnormics. To me D50 images are more sharper.

I am able to get nice pictures right out of the camera and generally may not need any POST processing. But to give better nice resultI use simple PICASA to increase or adjust the contract, highlights etc. And simple post processing should be pretty common with any DSLR unless if you use professional lighting equipment to add more light to your subject.
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:39 PM   #5
me2

I've got the D50 and 18-70 and 50f1.8 lenses. No regrets whatsoever. I took a good look at the Rebel and chose the D50 because:
- D50 has better ISO control. Auto and fixed in both scene and creative modes
- D50 has more versatility in its settings
- D50 has a spot meter, which I am learning is a very, very useful thing.
- Nicer hand fit
- Lower price
- better lenses for reasonable price, ie 18-70 and 50f/1.8.
- better flash metering

I love the camera.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:26 PM   #6

Well, thank you sir.....

You just ansered my question. And choosing between the rebel xt & the Nikon d50 ,was not an easy task.

In any case ,I still have photoshop ,if I need to post process.

Have a great day, to ya all ...

Mike
Quote:
I've got the D50 and 18-70 and 50f1.8 lenses. No regrets whatsoever. I took a good look at the Rebel and chose the D50 because:
- D50 has better ISO control. Auto and fixed in both scene and creative modes
- D50 has more versatility in its settings
- D50 has a spot meter, which I am learning is a very, very useful thing.
- Nicer hand fit
- Lower price
- better lenses for reasonable price, ie 18-70 and 50f/1.8.
- better flash metering

I love the camera.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:02 AM   #7

Userdude-

Because I already had some Nikon lenses, and hankered to try the Nikon D-50, I ordered a Nikon Refurbished D-50 body for $399. It arrived yesterday and I charged the battery. Here is the second photo taken with the D-50 body in full automatic.

IMHO when I handled both cameras, prior to my decision, I felt that the Canon 350D/XT prip felt very pinched, and the viewfinder was much less than I had expected it to be. The Nikon D-50 was just about the exact opposite.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:46 PM   #8

Yep.....

that looks like a mighty fine picture , and exactly the kind of subject-matter I'm interested to....

My first slr , was a Nikormat EL ,which I purchased back in 1977.
Very rugged camera , & with 29 years of moving around with the military, it proved it's worth ,many times over.

The rebel XT , being made of plastic, is influencing my decision in a great way.

Cheers