Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:08 PM   #1

I will be using it to take photos for the Whidbey Island TOurism commison of the whales here in Washington State, I have a Nikon SLR 35MM but with film and all it gets expensive...I like the Nikon D70 but I also like the Canan Rebel...So which one?

Nikki
Nikki P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:38 PM   #2

I started out looking at the Digital Rebel XT and ended up with the 30D. But anyway....

What is your budget and what about lenses?
DBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:50 AM   #3

I can't speak much for the other DSLR's and cannot even say too much about the Nikon D50 that I recently purchased, as I only have had it a few weeks. But I can say this: I am very very very happy with my decision to buy the Nikon D50! It just feels so correct in my hands and I am getting quickly used to the menu and control operations. This is my first SLR since my college days (30 years back!) when I had a completely manual Canon.

I think I read somewhere in some forum that the D50 may even be more advanced (i.e. newer technology) than the D70 model, so you might want to read around quite a bit before deciding for the D70 over the D50.

If you are moving from a film camera to a digital, then welcome to a whole new world. No film costs, no time delay to get the film developed, and you can even zoom in on the details of your shots using the camera's LCD to get an idea of how the shot turned out (sharpness, etc.). The Nikon for me is an upgrade from an earlier Canon power shot and more recently a KM G530, and in comparison, the various delay times (time to auto focus, time to store the picture data) is so muchless with the DSLR.

Steve, Denmark
sti_sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:27 AM   #4

I would agree, the Nikon D50 seems to be a great deal. In some features it is even better than the D70/D70s. I think that it is the perfect DSLR for someone that comes from point & shoot and even film cameras.

Nikki, you can get a very good deal for this foto camera. In the US, you can get the D50 and the Tamron 28-300 lens for no more than 700-800$ and the Tamron is a great lens for an enthusiast photographer that does not want carry around that many lenses and wants widea and tele in the same lens.

Well, do you homework proper and make the right decision to suit your needs.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:09 AM   #5

Check out the Pentax *istDL. Best price and most bang for the buck. And as an added bonus older K mount lenses will work on this baby. Read Steve's report.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:25 AM   #6

what i dislike about the pentax dslrs is the fact that they use AA batteries instead of Li-Ion.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:22 AM   #7

Nikki what lenses do you have for your 35mm SLR. It's probable that these will work with the D70. I use 3 lenses carried over from my film SLR.

Whether the D50 or D70 is the better buy is difficult to say, very few people have experience of both.

I have the D70 and think it's a great camera. It's a bit bigger than the D50 and I like that because it feel 'right' to me. Other people will prefer the slightly smaller D50. The one feature on the D70 that I find an advantage over the D50 is having 2 command dials. This makes it simple to change aperture and shutter speed when using the camera in manual, which I do a lot. If you use your camera mostly in one of the automatic modes then this is much less of an issue.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:17 AM   #8

Actually the AA batteries are a big plus for any camera. If your rechargeables die on you the nearest store will always have AA's in stock to get you threw the day. This was a motive for me when I was looking at DSLR's. Sure am happy with the Pentax. Good luck with your choice, you will have fun.
:-)
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:19 AM   #9
rey

If you already have a 35mm slr, chances are you are more advance than those of us who went for the D50 over the D70s. I love my D50, but there are things in the D70s that it doesn't have, besides the second dial. Mainly: depth of field preview, cable release option and built-in wireless flash remote. I'm sure your 35mm has the first two, so if you use them often, you may consider the D70s over the D50.

Good Luck!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:54 AM   #10

Right now I have A quantaray 70-300 and a Quantaray 28-90..I am getting ready to buy a telephoto lens for it...I tried the D50 and it seemed slower to me then the D70..I need good speed with it because the whales move so fast (thats about all I take photos of and Navy Ships) My 35mm is a Nikon N65..good camara I think, I will post some photos---they are scans so they are not going to look like they do on paper

I can spend anywhere from 100-500 on a lens...
NIkki

Nikki P is offline   Reply With Quote