Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:25 PM   #1

Now that the Nikon D50 and the Pentax DL are around the same price of < $500 USD.

What is the general consensus keeping in mind the following two criteria?

1) I am planning to use for just general prosumer /amateur uses.. Indoor party and event shot more than outdoor..

2) I dont have any old lenses and since my budget is limited, I was also planning to buy and stick with whatever kit lens comes with the camera.

Your help is appreciated.. thanks

chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:35 PM   #2

Chris-

Since you seem to indicate that budget is indeed a consideration. I would offer the opinion that due to the fact that the Pentax DL can use all of the older Pentax lenses, it might be the more economical pathway. Those lenses are still available through E-Bay, KEH, Adorama.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:24 PM   #3

I've never used the Nikon but I have the Pentax *ist DS (similar camera to the DL, same sensor) and love it. It takes great photos and I'm planning on adding to my collection of lenses by visiting photo shows, pawn shops etc. looking for older lenses in good working order (also watch the want ads). It's great to be able to use these old lenses - some of them are really excellent and can be bought much cheaper than new lenses.

Just remember that if you buy old manual lenses, they are manual and will not have any automatic functions. I'm using a couple of 20 year old lenses that are manual focus (though the camera beeps when it is in focus) and have an aperture ring for setting the aperture (you can either set the shutter speed yourself or push a button that allows the camera to set the aperture temporarily and meter for the shutter speed - not a big deal in my opinion). The 50mm 1.7 lens that came with the old ME/ME Supercamerasshould easy to find, is a bit sharper than the kit zoom lens (at least mine is), and really fast for indoor use (one of lenses I use frequently).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:58 PM   #4

I am no expert, but I went thru the same procedure you did, checked out D50/70, Rebel XT, istDS, and I bought the DS...will receive it soon...

What knocked my socks off was the great view in the viewfinder...the other may be faster, or whatever, but the VF was not looking down a tunnel, and I could care less about the LCD...good luck choosing...
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:38 PM   #5

Thank you all for your recommendations. However, would your choice change if I was not really planning to buy any other lenses, but rather to use the kit 18-55 lens that comes with each camera??

So then the fact that Pentax lenses are cheaper than Nikon lenses would not really matter with me..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:51 PM   #6

I'd still make the same decision. I have smallish hands and I use my camera hiking and walking around, so size and weight are also very important to me. The Pentax is smaller and lighter than the Nikon. I think I've read that they use the same sensor and both will give you excellent pictures (at least that's what it looked like to me when I looked at the sample pictures).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 5:43 PM   #7

I've had my DL now for about three weeks; it's an upgrade from a very good Fuji S602 camera. I too looked at the Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Minolta. I (and my wife) found the view threw the view finder to be much better and we also felt the size was much more comfortable in our hands. The build of the Pentax also was far superior to the Canon which felt very cheap in its build. Now that I own the DL I can tell you that the ease of use and superb picture quality are two more reasons to consider the Pentax. Regardless of what camera you do buy you are really going to enjoy what the DSLR cameras have to offer. As for the 18-55 lens, you won't find fault with it at all. But beware you will want to buy additional lenses at some time. I have the Sigma 18-125 as my out door lens and I will be looking at the Pentax 50-200 soon as well.

Good Luck
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:55 AM   #8

Just to add so balance to the thread, I must share with you that because I already own some Nikkor lenses, I went ahead and purchased a Nikon refurbished body for $399.

I pretended that I was a newbie and set everything up on automatic and on my second shot with the D-50, I took this sunset image last night. The camera feels very good in hand and everything seemed to be very well located. I also own a Pentax DS and use it a wholelot, but I was impressed with this image, because it was the very second image with the camera in full automatic.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote