Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:58 PM   #1

Okay, so I'm delving into the world of DSLR.

I've been a strictly point and shoot type since..forever. I currently own a PowerShot S50 and hardly ever use the auto modes anymore.

I've never owned a DSLR and tinkered a small bit with my dad's SLR Yashica about 10 years ago. I've since forgotten whatever I learned w/it.

My dilemma is that I'm apprenticing with a experienced amateur (Canon owner, hence the choice of Canon body) that is in the business. This should greatly accelerate the learning curve, however I'm frustrated with trying to figure out which camera to get.

We'll be doing primarly kids sports, indoor, outdoor, along with the family candids.

I guess my question is, am I likely to outgrow the XT fast enough that I should just buy the 20/30D now? I'm worried about being overwhelmed by the features on the higher end camera and not utilizing them vs. wishing that the camera did more. As a beginner, which is more likely to surface first?

Vandurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:52 PM   #2

I'm a DSLR beginner too and recently purchased the 30D. I had been looking at the XT and was comparing it to the 20D about the time of the 30D announcement. The reasons I chose the 30D instead were the additional features, the bigger size (I have large hands), and the hope that I would grow into it. I also expected this to be the last camera I purchase, at least for a long time.

I had also decided earlier to take a digital photography course to help me understand whatever camera I purchased and all it's features. You seem to have a leg up there as you're already working with an experienced photographer.

After comparing features on the Canon site I thought about the 5D for a few minutes. Just long enough to look up the price tag. Ouch! I couldn't go there. Fortunately, I could afford the 30D and a couple of good lenses. I bought the EF 50 f/1.4 USM and EF 24-70 f/28L USM to go with the camera. Next year I'll probably add the 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM.

Anyway, to a degree it's a personal choice and a balance between your budget and your photography intentions. I.e, would you rather save on the body and spend more on the lenses? Do you intend to earn a living with it?

No doubt you'll have fun no matter what you decide.
DBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:18 PM   #3

If it was a year ago I would recommend 20D. Today with Nikon's more advanced D50 and D200 it's a different story.

Nikon D50 and D200 are new advance cameras thatyou shouldnot compare them with the Canon you are looking at.

If you insist on Canon I suggest youshould waituntil Canon come out with new models that will beequal or better thanthe D50 and D200. It should not be long. It happenedso many timesin the history of these two companies.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:25 PM   #4

I agree with ruchai-

I sold my Canon 20D and bought a Nikon D-50 and am now looking at the D-200. Nikon has once again taken the lead from Canon. Oh, don't worry Canon will hit the streets with some new DSLR's, but for now Nikon has the lead. Nikons have made huge strides ahead.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:25 AM   #5

The Nikons are interesting cameras, unless that is, you require high iso photos with little noise. The D50 does very well in this area - the D200 does not.

A couple of interesting articles on the topic are floating around online. Of course you never know exactly who is writing them or if they slant one way or the other, but they do spur some thought:

http://www.completedigitalphotography.com/?p=419

this one is a foreign site, but if you look at it closely enough you can figure out what they're doing - comparing noise from a varity of DSLRs:

http://digitalcamera.impress.co.jp/0.../index_iso.htm

Over on dpreview there was a post where the user did some shots showing the 30D and D200 he took under a variety of iso conditions and the D200 did worse once you got to 800/1600 by far. Up till then though, the pics were fine. I just did a quick search and can't find that particular post but if you search over there you may be able to find it (bed time here) ;-)

My take: Yes, I am a Canon user. I use a D60 and 10D. However, I am not biased, and if someone else made something better for a good price, I would chuck Canon in a second and go that other route. I'm not brand loyal, because quite frankly, every few years a manufacturer will come out on top and make excellent cameras, then, someone else come out above them for a couple of years, and so on and so on. Right NOW, Canon probably is the best for DSLRs (in my opinion) overall, when taking all models into account.

That being said, for the price ($550 online) the Nikon D50 is the best DSLR deal out there. The D200 between some banding issues on some models, and high noise at high iso speeds, I do not personally feel is one of the best choices at this time. As far as what you get for the money, I would say the D50 for cheap pricing, the D70s for mid-cheap, the Canon 30D for mid-range, and the Canon 5D for upper-end, in that order. The 30D is new, has the newest technology for that price range, and would probably be just fine for you. Why not just ask the person you'll be working under what they think as well?

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:56 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I'd agree with that.

Best entry level is the Nikon D50.

I really don't think the extra 2 Mp on the D200 is worth the high noise and banding issues and inferior AF compared to the D30, and the D30 is cheaper too! If you look at the DPReview noise comparisons the D200 is really quite poor next to the Canons above ISO400.

I'd definitely choose the Canon D30 as the best midrange camera.

After that you can't really go wrong, for the high-end - Canon D5, Nikon DX2, Canon 1DsMkII are all superb in their different ways.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:26 AM   #7

I bought the D50 in July last year, my first DSLR but not my first SLR nor my first digital camera. After more than 8,000 shotswith the D50 I bought the D200 just two weeks ago. The reason I bought the D200 was because of it very fast and accurate focussing. I mostly taking bird pictures with Nikkor 80-400VR which focus very slow with D50.

For those who still think D200 is not the best DSLR today I recommend go and play with it via "Nikondigitour",here:http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d200/index.shtml.

D200 egronomy is beyond all DSLR, Nikon or Canon.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:13 AM   #8
j-p

I'm also on the verge of my first DSLR purchase. I own an ElanIIE with several lenses. From what I've read online, the image quality between the XT and 20D is very close. The 20D is more robustly constructed and larger. It doesn't seem to do more things than the XT, just does some things better. Check out a comparison of the 2 at www.bobatkins.com under featured articles. I'm leaning towards the XT with vertical grip.
j-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:11 AM   #9

It is of course a personal opinion, but I did not go for the Canon 350D/XT because of the horribly pinched/small grip and the poor viewfinder.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:24 PM   #10

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I'd agree with that.

Best entry level is the Nikon D50.

I really don't think the extra 2 Mp on the D200 is worth the high noise and banding issues and inferior AF compared to the D30, and the D30 is cheaper too! If you look at the DPReview noise comparisons the D200 is really quite poor next to the Canons above ISO400.

I'd definitely choose the Canon D30 as the best midrange camera.

After that you can't really go wrong, for the high-end - Canon D5, Nikon DX2, Canon 1DsMkII are all superb in their different ways.
Just to clarify model numbers for Vandurinso they don't get confused (peripatetic - you goofed. LOL). Peripatetic was comparing the D200 Nikon to the Canon >30D< not the D30 as mentioned. The D30 is several years old (3MP DSLR version) and the new model which is getting good reviews is the 30D. So don't choose the Canon D30 over the Nikon D200.... choose the 30D.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote