Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:14 PM   #1

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, but have been pouring over the posts here.I'm hoping you can help me.

Needs, in order of priority:

1. Speed--power on, shutter lag and shot to shot. Our current digicam is terrible about this. (It was a cheap first foray into digital that we've outgrown.) I've missed so many great shots of the kids because our camera can't keep up.

2. Ease of use--we're point and shoot people, primarily.

3. Low light situations--we're going to China this year to pick up our adopted daughter, and I've been advised to make sure our camera gets good shots in low light, because the official "hand over" moment is often in a dimly lit gov't. office.

4. Size--not too huge, or I won't carry it around much.

5. Photo quality--we also have 3 wild boys, ages 6,4 and 2, so we're doing action shots almost exclusively. Very little scenery here!

6. Movies--I have no experience with this, but can see getting into it. It would be nice to post video of the baby to our blog while we are in China, and again when we are home so out of town relatives can see the baby in action.

Thanks so much for your input. I'm pretty much camera clueless!

Therese
tpuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:18 PM   #2

Therese-

You might want to take a lok at the Fuji F-10 or the soon to be released (May '06) Fuji F-30. Either camera is very capable of low light level shots due to their high ISO capability (ISO 1600 on the F-10 and ISO 3200 on the F-30).

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:44 PM   #3

As a Temporary resident of china i can only agree with your view on lighting issues in the offices in China. However you did not mention whether flash would be a concern to you or not. If you are planning non-flash shots, i agree with MTclimber, but if flash is not a problem i think there are more alternatives out there. If video is a top-priority then Canon IS2 could be a choice. Kodak v550 should have a good Video solution if i´m not mistaking.
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:15 AM   #4

Monx, I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know what you mean by "planning non-flash shots." We have our China needs (good close ups in low light when we meet our daughter, but of course also lots and lots of photos of the Great Wall, etc.). But after that I think our photos will fall into two categories: A) outdoor action shots of kid i.e. soccer games, pool photos, sledding, etc. and some close ups and B) indoor close ups and others i.e. blowing out the birthday cake. Does that clarify? So the low light is a consideration, but basically we need an all-purpose camera.

I have read so many good things about the Canon A610/620 and Kodak Easysahre Z740, so was leaning in that direction, but didn't mention it in my post to see what you experts would come up with on your own. Are these more camera than I need, or do they somehow not fit my needs (bad in low light or something)?

Thanks again! Therese
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:13 AM   #5

By non-flash shots i simply meant wether you would be using flash when taking indoor shots or if you prefered taking them without. It makes quite a difference when choosing a camera. i myself have the Z740 as a backup for my D50, I will write a little feedback on the camera tomorrow seing as it is past midnight now! :-)
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:10 PM   #6

A "non-flash photo" is a photo taken without usingyour camera's built-inflash unit. The converse of this term is "flash photo" which is a photo taken using your camera's built-in flash unit.

If the Chinese office environment requires that you take a "non flash" photo, then you must use a camera with a high ISO capability, such as the Fuji F-10.

If the Chinese office environment allows you to take a "flash photo" Then the Fuji F-10, the Canon A-610/620, and the Kodak V-550 or Z740 would be able to handle that environment with ease.

Ihope that that adds so clarity for you. I suggested the Fuji F-10 because it can operate easily in EITHER environment.

MT
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:16 PM   #7

I found the Z740 does have a tendency to deliver redeyes when using flash, but i guess thats a common problem with compact cameras. ( the flash being positioned close to the barrel opening of the lense ). My friends IS 2 does not seem to suffer quite as much from this though.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:20 PM   #8

Thank you both for your responses, and for taking the time to educate such an amateur. I've been reading about the F10 since you both mentioned it, and am getting pretty excited about it! The truth is, anything would be a big improvement over what we have, but the F10 sounds like a good fit for our needs. Will I need to spend more money on accessories? Any must haves?

Therese
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:25 PM   #9

therse-

All I added to my Fuji F-10 was a couple of 512mb XD chips. A case was not required as I caried the F-10 in my purse. IMHO the F-10 is a great camera. Here is an example of a "non flash" photo taken with my F-10.

MT

Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:38 AM   #10

Thanks, MT. One last question.....it is fast, right? I can catch the shots of my kids I want instead of the shot *after* the one I wanted? And shot to shot recovery time is pretty good?

Therese