Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:46 PM   #1

Ihave a Minolta Dimage Z1 (3.2MP)

I like the 10x zoom and when I can get a good shot, they are nice. I just never seem to be able to get a good shot. I seem to be physically incapable of being still. I also notice that most of my pictures have odd coloring and pixelization. Is this a function of the camera, me or both? A friend has told me that this camera requires a lot of light and that affects the coloring.

My father in law bought a Nikon Coolpix 5600 last year and from looking at his photos, 90% of them are perfect compared to about 5% of mine. He is no more of a photography enthusiast than I am, but seems to have much better luck.

My problem is that I am going to England in July and will be taking a lot of pictures of landscapes, some people and some autoracing (at Goodwood Festival of Speed). My friend insists I need the zoom for the pics at Goodwood, but I really want to get good shots of the landscapes too.

Is it worth it to buy a $200-$250 camera that is about 5MP; or is there something I can do with the Z1? (ie, is the technology so far ahead now that the Z1 is hopelessly far behind?) Which one would be best? I am thinking something like a Lumix LZ3 or a Nikon Coolpix 7600.

Thanks!
jimkhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:00 AM   #2
E.T

jimkhana wrote:
Quote:
My problem is that I am going to England in July and will be taking a lot of pictures of landscapes, some people and some autoracing (at Goodwood Festival of Speed).* My friend insists I need the zoom for the pics at Goodwood, but I really want to get good shots of the landscapes too.
If you're more like lanscape, architecture and general nature photographer real wide angle is more important than longest possible tele.
(unless wild animals/birds are top priority)

BTW, Ask your friend what "zoom" means and check does he know its real meaning.
(which is just ratio of longest and shortest focal length which doesn't tell anything concretic/how well camera really fits to certain photography)

Quote:
Is it worth it to buy a $200-$250 camera that is about 5MP; or is there something I can do with the Z1?* (ie, is the technology so far ahead now that the Z1 is hopelessly far behind?)* Which one would be best?* I am thinking something like a Lumix LZ3 or a Nikon Coolpix 7600.
As considering megapixels even 2 is enough for normal sized paper photos.

When it comes to your current camera it's definitely little left behind in few features... first of all it doesn't have image stabilization which is especially usefull with long teles. (but lens is quite bright through whole range and neither did Olympus' popular ultrazooms have any IS)

But again it's questionable how much better camera you can getr at that price... cameras around that price are mostly just "standard" cameras.

PS. Set white balance manually according are you inside (fluorescent/tungsten) or outside in sun light/cloudy weather, that should correct colors very effectively.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 4:53 AM   #3

It might be worth reviewing the manual that came with your camera to see if you are using it correctly. I don't mean to sound condescending but its amazing the number of times friends or family have their cameras on the wrong settings for the type of pictures they wish to take.

For example my daughter was complaining that her digicam never took "sharp" photos and it turned out that she had altered the settings so that she was always shootingwith longish exposures and therefore always getting camera shake. She'd simply not returned the camera to its default or Auto mode and had either ignored or forgotten or misunderstood the manual that came with it.

Certainly with "superzoom" type cameras the lack of image stabilisation can be a problem but only when you're using the zoom at or near its greatest extent.

So before going out and spending some money on a new camera just making sure you understand the current one's capabilities.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:09 PM   #4

Hey guys, thanks. I have tried multiple settings on the camera, not just the "auto" mode and I get blurry results and dark/bad color on all of them. I really have not got the photography mindset. I will get the manual out and review the features again.

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:29 PM   #5

jimKhanka-

This is only my own personal opinion, but the KM Z-1 is already more than 3+ and soon to be 4 years old. Many changes have taken place in the digital camera industry since the Z-1 was introduced. The current KM Z series camera is the Z-6. You can easily appreciate that many changes have been made to the KM Z series cameras, since your Z-1 was introduced almost 4 years ago.

Cameras manufactured today are meeting entire new and more stringent performance standards. Yes, you can spend a LOT of time and achieve very SMALL results with your KM Z-1.

Perhaps it is really time for a change. That is just my personal opinion, and I want to make it perfectly clear that the choice is entirely up to you, and you alone.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:16 AM   #6

I appreciate the advice from all. I have decided that while the Z-1 is fine for certain shots at long range, I needed a more idiot-proof camera. I bought a Nikon Coolpix 7600. It seems to be a nice beginer's camera and should be okay for the kinds of pictures I plan to take. (ie: not entering any photo contests any time soon.) And if my father in law can take great pics with his Coolpix 5600...:-)

Seriously, I will use the 7600 for most shots on our trip for landscape and low light/interior shotsand around the house. I'll carry the Z-1 to Goodwood, since there will be lots of opportunities to take long distance shots that the 7600 probably can't get.

Thanks!